2017~2024 Uneven tire wear on outer perimeter of front tires, only 5500 miles.

:
2018 CX-5 GT AWD
I have a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD with only 5500 miles and I started noticing increased road noise and slight vibration on the floor board recently. I inspected the tires and found the outer perimeter of both front tires is wearing kinda strange. I would classify it as feathering after doing some research. This is when you run your hand along the tire and feel the edges of the tread are sharp and uneven instead of smooth. They are wearing much differently than the rear. I took it into the dealer and they said the alignment looked fine and rotated the tires to the back. The problem went away but I assume it's just a matter of time before it happens again. Has anyone noticed this on their CX-5 or do you know if Mazda is more aggressive with the way they setup the toe in, from what I read feathering is usually caused by too much toe in. Thanks for the help.

I have a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD with only 5500 miles and I started noticing increased road noise and slight vibration on the floor board recently. I inspected the tires and found the outer perimeter of both front tires is wearing kinda strange. I would classify it as feathering after doing some research. This is when you run your hand along the tire and feel the edges of the tread are sharp and uneven instead of smooth. They are wearing much differently than the rear. I took it into the dealer and they said the alignment looked fine and rotated the tires to the back. The problem went away but I assume it's just a matter of time before it happens again. Has anyone noticed this on their CX-5 or do you know if Mazda is more aggressive with the way they setup the toe in, from what I read feathering is usually caused by too much toe in. Thanks for the help.

Probably driving style, in this case.

Did they put it on the machine to check actual alignment numbers? If so and everything checks out then your probably taking your turns a bit too hard.

If possible, get a copy of the actual alignment inspection to dismiss any doubts that they just wanted to avoid 'unpaid' service for a new car that is still in warranty. Tire rotation does not fix the issue in this case, and it will only harm the other good tires from the rear. You may have hit a bad pot holes/uneven roads which may throw the alignment bad.

Definitely if its an old car without warranty, they would immediately say that an alignment and balance service will need to be done (for profit sake).

I suggest demand that they do a wheel alignment before you wear those tires.

Generally a new vehicle gets a free alignment if problems arise during the first 12,000 miles or one year. I would definitely get a computer printout with the Before and after a computer alignment. Ed

Generally a new vehicle gets a free alignment if problems arise during the first 12,000 miles or one year. I would definitely get a computer printout with the Before and after a computer alignment. Ed
Agreed. And dont take just the words from service advisor, but ask for the before and after 4-wheel alignment printout which can verify if your alignment is off or not. Anything is out of specs will be indicated in RED.

Back