Underbody Panel

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I understand that the underbody panel is made of something like a fiberboard, is that correct? If so how resistant is it to light collisions i.e. the car scraping against a rock jutting out from an unpaved road? There's one in my road that gets me sometimes if I fail to avoid it. Definitely sounds like scrapping a fiberboard not metal.

All of my Mazdas, including my first gen CX-5, have all been heavy plastic. And while you absolutely can kill one, they tend to be pretty damned tough.

Upvote 0
Really, if you're concerned about damage due to rough terrain, it's best to do it the old fashioned way by crawling underneath or put it on a lift and look for yourself. And if you don't want to pull the big panel at least pull the 2 small panels off (one is for the oil drain plug and filter) and see what is behind there. It will give you a better idea what's there and whether you want to risk damaging the oil pan or transmission pan/ aluminum case if making a decision about whether to drive over an obstruction. Your local conditions are probably more extreme than most of us on this site and require extra caution against damage.

Upvote 0
Good idea, a skid plate might be just the thing to offer extra insurance against damage in a rough environment. Beats breakdown and costly repairs. Offers some peace of mind too.

Upvote 0
confirmed aftermarket availability for the GEN2

these and a couple more in that handy knowledge sharing document.

unfortunately it doesn't seem anyone makes a COMPLETE skid set like this:

Upvote 0
Back