Underbody Panel Falling off?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I was walking by my car the other day and saw that something was dangling underneath the car. See circled in red.

I didn't get a chance to take a look at the other side.

IMG_20191220_reduced.jpg

Some of the plastic trim rivets likely fell out and the panel is loose. Just grab some new ones and re-attach. You can get them online or your dealer may even hand you a couple if you ask.

Some of the plastic trim rivets likely fell out and the panel is loose. Just grab some new ones and re-attach. You can get them online or your dealer may even hand you a couple if you ask.

I feel like I am cursed with this car. I had a flat tire last week, now I have panels falling off. Could the tire shop have damaged the rivets? The flat tire repair was on the other side of the car - passenger rear side.

I feel like I am cursed with this car. I had a flat tire last week, now I have panels falling off. Could the tire shop have damaged the rivets? The flat tire repair was on the other side of the car - passenger rear side.

It's certainly possible. Try to get some better lit, closer underside photos with camera flash. This will give you a better idea of what happened.

When you had a flat, did you use the spare tire? I saw someone in the CX-5 facebook group complaining the 16" spare supplied doesn't work with the turbo models, and showing a video of said scraping. Apparently, it just barely scrapes with the slightly larger brakes. I've already sourced an upgraded larger diameter spare from LKQ which better matches the size of my 17 inch wheels than the standard donut.

When you had a flat, did you use the spare tire? I saw someone in the CX-5 facebook group complaining the 16" spare supplied doesn't work with the turbo models, and showing a video of said scraping. Apparently, it just barely scrapes with the slightly larger brakes. I've already sourced an upgraded larger diameter spare from LKQ which better matches the size of my 17 inch wheels than the standard donut.

That person is a NOOB. The reason they had that issue is because the put the donut on the front axle.. the turboh models have larger 2 pot calipers. You're not supposed to put donuts on the front anyways

Tbh it's not a big deal. The pins holding them on are just plastic you can pull with a fingernail sometimes. It looks like the oil pan access panel is whats hanging

You're not supposed to put donuts on the front anyways

True. The donut is extremely undersized for this car, though. There's a thread that shows the massive difference between the standard wheel side by side. I wouldn't want to run it on the vehicle for any distance.

You should go back to the dealer. Mazda have admitted problems with some bits of trim falling off especially in the snow.

No, I did not use the donut/spare tire. The tire was able to temporarily hold air until I made it to the tire shop.

The area in question is the left rear side of the car.

Here are some more photos - crawled around the garage floor. It looks like there's a hole in the panel but no supporting piece to attach to.
IMG_20191221_205100.jpg
IMG_20191221_204705.jpg

Does anyone else mind to check their CX-5?

I also found something sticking out the front of the car. I can't make out what it is.
IMG_20191221_204811.jpg
IMG_20191221_204640.jpg
IMG_20191221_204817.jpg

Picture 20411 shows a paper that looks to have a mouse face on it. That doesn't come standard with the car. I will go outside and take a picture of mine.

I lost a piece when driving in snow. Found the number of the piece on-line and ordered it, along with replacement fasteners. Still hanging in there after a year.

Those must be on the new cx-5s.; the old ones only have plastic panels not fabric covered.

Here's to hoping that I don't lose any underbody trim while driving in the snow this winter. Is this a common issue?

Weird, looks completely different from my black smooth plastic underbody covers.

Haven't lost anything yet after nearly 7 years. Gotta keep in mind there are screws keeping it attached too.

Yes, those on the pictures look like mid and rear under panels not the very front under the engine block. Its same on my 2018 gt. They are different than the first/front undercover and are there for noise limiting and some form of harsh weather condition shielding.

It’s a piece of coloured card that’s blown in - not even part of the car. Reach under and pull it out.

Not surprised that somebody has already decided to scrap their car in nit untypical over reaction :rolleyes:

Back