2016~2023 Ultimate “Grand Tourer”

Forgot to post a pic! We now drive the same vehicle… it is slow and inefficient and doesn’t have every feature the CX-9 does but it does have a drivetrain that will last. As @sm1ke said, the Limited trim was a must. That’s why we have two now 😂

FB52B365-6DB1-4CC3-A031-62F093D0DEE0.jpeg

I didn't realize it was slower, but not by much. Only half a second slower to 60mph than the CX-9. The low-end torque from the CX-9 really helps to make it feel more nimble, but I'm sure that passing on the highway in the 4Runner is easier/smoother.

Looks like you've already done some mods to your wife's 4Runner (y)

I didn't realize it was slower, but not by much. Only half a second slower to 60mph than the CX-9. The low-end torque from the CX-9 really helps to make it feel more nimble, but I'm sure that passing on the highway in the 4Runner is easier/smoother.

Looks like you've already done some mods to your wife's 4Runner (y)
While the CX-9 gets all the power on the low end, the 4Runner is all top end. From a stop, the CX-9 feels faster.

I’ve got several boxes of mods for her rig that I might take for mine now 😂 They took a backseat while I was doing things to my CX-9. The good thing is the 4Runner has more aftermarket support so it’s much easier to find parts

Added this phone mount before our last trip. It’s hard mounted to the trim right above the vent. Wasn’t my first choice but the other options were ruled out. Tinted windshield so no mount from there. I had 3D printed other brackets and didn’t like how they cluttered up the dash or how in the way they were for the screen. This is strong enough to hold an iPad on a bumpy road so I’m pretty happy with it.

View attachment 309849

I really like the RAM mount integration you did here. Did you drill through the trim piece to secure the track?

I haven't measured anything yet, but I was planning to look into using RAM's top-loading Tough Track or aluminum track (links below) at the base of the screen - lower left side of the dash trim. I assume the dash trim around the screen is (1) easily removable by popping it off (2) has the airspace to accommodate a nut/bolt on the underside, and (3) easily replaceable at a nominal cost (haven't checked) which would allow me to 'reverse' the install if we ever wanted to go back to stock. I only want a single ball for a wireless magsafe mount/charger positioned between the instrument cluster and screen (similar to where your phone is).

I really like the RAM mount integration you did here. Did you drill through the trim piece to secure the track?

I haven't measured anything yet, but I was planning to look into using RAM's top-loading Tough Track or aluminum track (links below) at the base of the screen - lower left side of the dash trim. I assume the dash trim around the screen is (1) easily removable by popping it off (2) has the airspace to accommodate a nut/bolt on the underside, and (3) easily replaceable at a nominal cost (haven't checked) which would allow me to 'reverse' the install if we ever wanted to go back to stock. I only want a single ball for a wireless magsafe mount/charger positioned between the instrument cluster and screen (similar to where your phone is).

Thanks! I did drill through the dash. Spent months working on different mounts that were no drill and gave up. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and it barely fit. Much wider/deeper and it won’t fit well. That dash piece pops off really easy and you can fit thin nuts in there but I just tapped the plastic and it was fine. The plastic piece is few hundred if I remember correctly which is why I wanted to avoid drilling. There’s just not a good spot for a mount at all

The only bug, and this was also on my 2018 CX-9, is that if you have auto high beams and auto wipers on, if the wipers come on first, the auto high beam does not work.
Yeah, I had noticed the same thing as well. Strange bug that makes me think it is done on purpose for some reason.

Looks great. I want to do this to my Stormtrooper CX-5. Did you wrap this with the switches in place on the wheel, or did you remove the cruise/audio controls and wrap them off the wheel?
Thanks! Removed everything and wrapped completely disassembled. Once you know how to take the steering wheel apart, it’s really quick and I think makes the wrap look better

Work trip interrupted the de-chroming but here’s what they look like after sitting in 60 gallons of bleach for a week! Got them all washed up and it was just plastic left. Of course I didn’t remember to take a picture of that

View attachment 304098

And here is the final result:

View attachment 304099

I am not sure if I’ll keep the red or change it to bronze when I finally decide on new wheels. Opinions?

Next up is the window chrome. I can remove the chrome around the front and middle windows, but not the rear window. I think I will end up using vinyl wrap for that just to keep it consistent from window to window. I also want to paint the roof rails but I didn’t see anything in the service manual about removing them. Has anyone done that before?
Did you remove the grille inserts without removing the bumper? Do they just clip in? How did you do it? I haven't looked at it yet but I'd like to remove mine and have them painted.

Pic from Russian auction site.
1671653407349.png

Did you remove the grille inserts without removing the bumper? Do they just clip in? How did you do it? I haven't looked at it yet but I'd like to remove mine and have them painted.

Pic from Russian auction site.
View attachment 314746
First time I removed them, I had to remove the bumper. After that, there was enough play in them that I could remove without removing bumper as well

Back