UK (Brits) New 2017 model thread, or fancy a second cuppa?

Do you know as of what build date this firmware applies to?

I'm unaware of the build date this applies to although Anchorman might be able to help as he has just received his 2017 model? Whether it's the same on the 2017 model as my 2016 version, the seatbelt label gives an indication of build date, i.e. on mine it is June 2016. Combine this with the firmware information on the MZD system this should help you. Incidentally, I've upgraded to 59.00.502 myself as I'm not interested in tweaking and all that business.

quote : Do you know if that new firmware is in ALL the 2017s?

My dealer tells me that all the 2017's he received up to last week are 59.00.449.
He has 59.00.502 EU N available - in the case a customer complains about navigation issues.(huh)

quote : Do you know if that new firmware is in ALL the 2017s?

My dealer tells me that all the 2017's he received up to last week are 59.00.449.
He has 59.00.502 EU N available - in the case a customer complains about navigation issues.(huh)

Cool, so I need to make sure to tell them NO firmware updates.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I’ve got the build date for mine - 11/5/17. This is the firmware version;

IMG_3458.jpg

Cool, so I need to make sure to tell them NO firmware updates.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Yup! I already told my dealer: NO firmware updates ! If necessary, and only then, I will carry out the upgrade myself.

He understands why....go figure.

Progress report after a measly 400 miles (I'm not going very far at the moment, too busy) but suffice to say excellent car, better than the outgoing model.

So much quieter, softer seats and less road rolling noise, plus steering a lot better. Of course the looks with the shark looking nose and the profiles around the lights are quite sexy.

At night the lighting is very good, and the dash lighting is clear, also the sat-nav doesn't dim to total obscurity like the old TomTom NB1 used to.

Got my head around the "infotainment system" but still not a fan of the mute facility when playing CD or USB, so I just tell it switch to DAB Radio then I hit mute. The information available in particular local points of interest are very good, and the maps are nicely laid out. I can't say about "Live Traffic" however as to date I haven't experienced it fully to date, I have set my phone as a Hot-Spot and the icon shows on the screen that is enabled but I'm not convinced - Yet! I have a feeling this might haunt me like the TomTom did in the early days.

If you turn down the sound for directions it also disables the speed warnings, and having attended one of those classes I was kindly invited to at 80 I would like to know. I also miss the actual speed in the sat-nav display which was accurate and I only got told off when I was 3-mph over the limit, this one tells me off (when sound enabled) as per the speedo which is most likely slow. However if the passenger seat is occupied then I am reminded in any case - I'm sure you'll work that one out, and the display is right in her eye-line and she spots the colour change instantly; there was a lot to be said for the early Mk3 cortina as the dials were a long way down a tube in the binnacle and therefore out of sight of any well meaning passenger. There again not so easy to speed along in the old Cortina 1600.

Cruise control isn't so straightforward to set and not that clear if you actually have it operating, but the feel of the car will confirm it. I found best way is don't switch it off, just cancel, then toggle reset + and does the job

The voice commands are slightly hit & miss but blame that on my "pirate accent" (from the West Country me Dear) but if it fails to understand I do get a polite message which I cannot get angry with.

Not on Bose but this sounds better that the old NB1 which was too heavy on the bass. I realise I bought a car and not a jukebox, but seems a reasonable sound-system.

All in all, damn nice bit of kit. Will update as and when, suspect mainly on the infotainment set-up as I'm not too sure as yet.

Alex.

Last edited:
To stop the USB playback: move the cursor to pause then use a press of the commander to pause/resume

Best way to check traffic is working is to look at traffic before connecting to the hotspot.

You will always get some traffic with out the hotspot, but a lot more with it, expect around 300 events with the hotspot connected and active. If its active you will see a tiny pulse inside the wifi symbol, that's how my 2015 MZD works, I can't see Mazda altering it for a 2017?

Best way to check traffic is working is to look at traffic before connecting to the hotspot.

You will always get some traffic with out the hotspot, but a lot more with it, expect around 300 events with the hotspot connected and active. If its active you will see a tiny pulse inside the wifi symbol, that's how my 2015 MZD works, I can't see Mazda altering it for a 2017?

Yes I have the "pulse" in fact it make the wi-fi signal look like it is split at the top, almost heart shaped. Therefore the 2017 is most likely as the late production earlier model. I think I did have limited traffic info before but typically haven't encountered any congestion as yet. My next trip up the M6 will no doubt prove matters.

I'm interested to see if anyone has found the "Live Traffic" to be a success, I've already had notice that my 60 days is due to expire, but to date I'm not convinced it is any good. I haven't checked cost to renew and may not be value for money.

I've set my phone as a "Hotspot" and an icon shows accordingly at the top of the screen, but that is hidden by an information bar as soon as you set a journey. I get notifications of delays where there are none, I fail to get warnings when there are delays.

1) M5 Southbound the other day, told me to take a diverted route to avoid traffic. The diversion was leave M5 at J18, rejoin the same junction (M5 J18) and it actually showed that silly little 200 yard loop on the screen. When I got to J18 no traffic, but the screen showed queuing traffic. Ten miles further on at J21 there was a queue of traffic leaving the motorway for Weston-Super-Mare but road was shown as clear.

2) The journey I set yesterday to a golf course, A30 CLOSED between Yeovil and Sherborne - sign posted diversion in place. No mention at all on the sat-nav. Refused to give me an alternative journey, I followed the diversion signs and throughout the diversion it tried to turn me round. I missed one turn for the diversion due to the sign having blown over but I was still being told I had to turn around. I pulled in after 7 or 8 miles of driving off my original chosen route, cleared the journey and put it in again as a new journey; still insisted I needed to go back and take the closed road which by then was miles off my route.

When I finally got to the other end by using common sense I mentioned the road closure and was told been like it for over a week. Others who drove there told me their TomToms and Garmins had advised them the road was closed and plotted an alternative route.

Journey home, set to Home, once again insisted I take the closed road, so I ignored and I set an alternative which it managed to accept.

Approaching the M5 queue of stationary traffic on A358 for 4 miles, sat there at least 20 minutes - Not A Word!

Finally joined the M5 relatively clear and about 3 miles up the motorway I'm told there is a queue - Nothing!

Come off at J24 Bridgwater, queue all the way into the town (5.20 pm so always a busy time) took half an hour to get to some traffic lights at the head of the queue and still no mention of delays.

In each case I ensured my phone was set as a hot-spot.

Have made an appointment with my dealer.

The thing is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

I will say Tomtom despite the failings in 2012/13 was good.

Last edited:
Personally I think the live traffic is rubbish, TT was much better all round.

I'm also finding oil rise is just as bad with my 2015 car (2016 to the US) at present around 8mm above the full mark. Anchorman believes his 2017 is an improvement, hopefully it is, however with both cars I've had you don't see any oil rise for the first few thousand miles, I have no idea why, but that's my experience.

If Mazda do fit AA then I'll probably buy another, as value for money its exceptional compared to the German offerings, were everything appears to be an extra.

As a tow car its top draw pulling my 1700kg caravan with out effort, at around 3000rpm it even sounds sporty.

Personally I think the live traffic is rubbish, TT was much better all round.

I'm also finding oil rise is just as bad with my 2015 car (2016 to the US) at present around 8mm above the full mark. Anchorman believes his 2017 is an improvement, hopefully it is, however with both cars I've had you don't see any oil rise for the first few thousand miles, I have no idea why, but that's my experience.

If Mazda do fit AA then I'll probably buy another, as value for money its exceptional compared to the German offerings, were everything appears to be an extra.

As a tow car its top draw pulling my 1700kg caravan with out effort, at around 3000rpm it even sounds sporty.

Checked the oil today and its still about 5mm below the full mark so very close to where it was when I got it. Its done about 1200 miles now and it would have been well above full on the previous one.

On the new Mk2 2017 CX5, has anyone noticed when it's been raining that when you open the boot/hatch/trunk lid a load of water pours out?

If you look at the bottom of the rear screen (with the lid closed) there's a neoprene seal between the glass and the plastic profile. To my mind water enters and fills that void.

Alex

How's the car going Alex.

Any oil rise?
Is the traffic ok for you, are you still disappointed with it.
What sort of MPG are you getting compared to the old car.
And finally can you feel the extra low down torque I believe Mazda have tuned in ?

How's the car going Alex.

Any oil rise?
Is the traffic ok for you, are you still disappointed with it.
What sort of MPG are you getting compared to the old car.
And finally can you feel the extra low down torque I believe Mazda have tuned in ?

No oil rise, mind you the last one didn't either.

Live traffic - A joke! It isn't live it's historical or even hysterical.

MPG is better, but I've gone manual this time so cannot give accurate comparison.

Low down torque, no real difference but again using the stick shift difficult to tell. It still pulls exceptionally well up hills, my reference point is Telegraph Hill between Exeter & Torbay, quite a drag and it sails up there in 6th gear.

Otherwise, a lot quieter re road-rolling noise. Far more comfortable, easier access and vents in the rear seems to be a success. Lighting is a lot better.

The only appreciable let-down is the "infotainment" system with sat-nav, pairing phone and ease of use on the music playing. The screen is better aesthetically and dims nicely at night yet remains clear.

Alex

Thanks Alex I would get around 40 mpg with my manual car, but around 36 to 38 mpg with the heavier auto, 37kg more weight, and auto box losses.

Thanks Alex I would get around 40 mpg with my manual car, but around 36 to 38 mpg with the heavier auto, 37kg more weight, and auto box losses.

The old Auto car I'd just about manage 38/39 mpg. This one (manual) averaging 41/42 mpg.

Back