tyre availability and tpms

Wow, that's harsh! You Brits love your regulations. Ours are bad enough, but hardly any of that article applies this side of the pond.

Wow...This guy really wants those toyo's badly...
I just went on Tire rack and found 17 (~5 Y rated and the rest V rated) tires... But for 235 55 r 19 (witch is a good fit).

I'm not feeling stressed at all... It's even possible to have 245 or 255 wide tires (255 being the widest to fit on a 7 inch wide rim).

Wow, that's harsh! You Brits love your regulations. Ours are bad enough, but hardly any of that article applies this side of the pond.

I understand the speed rating idea no problem. What seems to be the issue is that the tyres should be the same or the TPMS warning will trigger.

The thing is I don't believe my tyres have been rotated after 6000 miles which I think is more for 4WD cx-5's rather than my 2WD. But that will mean my front 2 wheels will have less tread on them than the rears. so that should set the TPMS off once the wear between front and rear tyres gets too large. I would prefer to put continentals on instead, but the inference from the article is i'd have to replace 4 tyres, not just the 2 that are worn!

I understand the speed rating idea no problem. What seems to be the issue is that the tyres should be the same or the TPMS warning will trigger.

The thing is I don't believe my tyres have been rotated after 6000 miles which I think is more for 4WD cx-5's rather than my 2WD. But that will mean my front 2 wheels will have less tread on them than the rears. so that should set the TPMS off once the wear between front and rear tyres gets too large. I would prefer to put continentals on instead, but the inference from the article is i'd have to replace 4 tyres, not just the 2 that are worn!
First off, in the US anyway, the rotation interval is 7500 miles. Second, the TPMS is not near as sensitive as you're implying. I think you're overthinking this a bit.

TPMS is not near as sensitive as you're implying. I think you're overthinking this a bit.

True. I've replaced the OEM wheels/tires with winter tires and wheels and forgot to reset the TPMS.

Nothing happened - everything worked normally.

True. I've replaced the OEM wheels/tires with winter tires and wheels and forgot to reset the TPMS.

Nothing happened - everything worked normally.

I can attest to that also, I changed to my winter setup myself (from my 19 inch toyos to 17 inch steel rims with blizzaks) and didn't have to reset anything... no light came up.

First off, in the US anyway, the rotation interval is 7500 miles. Second, the TPMS is not near as sensitive as you're implying. I think you're overthinking this a bit.

Thanks for the info. It does say in the manual if the size or manufacturer of a tyre is different from the others that a TPMS warning may be faster or slower. I suppose that's called covering one's derrire!

well as they're not being rotated my 2 new tyres are going to be put on the rear, whatever I get..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whHbWYmxpwg

Interesting video! Personally, I always do all 4 at the same time. More expensive? Yes, but then I also know that the rubber on all the tires is the same age, another important factor especially if you don't drive a lot of miles each year.

Interesting video! Personally, I always do all 4 at the same time. More expensive? Yes, but then I also know that the rubber on all the tires is the same age, another important factor especially if you don't drive a lot of miles each year.
I've been driving for 50 years and can't remember ever buying less than a full set of tires. There is something to be said for religious rotation and, I guess, as bit of luck.

Back