twiggy cams

theres a little more to it than that. ramp rate is at least as important (how quickly the valves are opened, and closed, as opposed to how long they are open for (duration) and how far they are opened (lift)). It is possible to have a big cam from an advertised duration/gross lift point of view, that gets killed by a cam with less advertised duration/gross lift but opens the valves more rapidly... it is very difficult to say a cam is good/bad/better than another based on one set of measurements. Unfortunately, most of the time thats all you get....

Also the relationship between lift and duration is important....as well as overlap, exhaust and intake cam advance etc etc.

turbo engines (especially not-so-worked engines....just about anything thats not a race motor) tend to benefit from more lift, where as NA motors tend to enjoy long durations. Of course both are important in either application.

Also, unless you are running a completely insane race motor, low, or no overlap is important for a turbo setup to prevent bleeding boost off through an open exhaust valve on the intake stroke (i believe theres actually negative-overlap on the twiggy cams for FI from memory..could be wrong though).... where as NA will enjoy a larger overlap to assist with scavenging and high RPM breathability.

Then theres the issue of dynamic compression with large cams and so on and so forth...

my point is - its not just a case of looking at the advertised lift and duration in isolation - cams are arguably the most complicated part of the motor to get right.

yes, I was over simplifying...for that I apologize...

Yup, your right. (2thumbs)

On another note: what are the "new" parts that could be available soon(summer) (scratch)

Nothing new in the pipeline other than the turbo kits...but we've been waiting for the manifolds for some time now.

So read up on the fs service manual on valve lash. Does it need to be adjusted to the same spec cold .010mm I believe. Also mazda rhe best place to get new lifter bucket spacers?

Back