Turbo? OR Supercharge?

rjs_protege5

:
Mazda, Protege5, 2002
Just wanting to get some info from the professionals..

Ok, I want my P5 to go faster (don't we all) but it's an automatic.. Just wanna hear some suggestions on what you guys would prefer on an auto and why?

TURBO?
OR
SUPERCHARGE?

If you guys have either or (which i know a lot of you do), please post up what you guys like about it, or dislike about it.. And which would be a greater investment??

Thank you all for your input!!

Peace,
RJ

go turbo, eisiest and cheapest way...you spend thousands on a supercharger and it mightr never happen...

good luck trying to find a supercharger kit for our car. i heard they are very hard to come by. turbo would be the way to go. oh and be prepared to get the wrath of the "search button nazis" just ignore them and someone else will post something useful for u buddy.

well....this would have been a pretty easyone to search on, cuz I;ve seen threads just like this one recently :rolleyes:

from what Ive read, there is no supercharger. So, your only choice would be to turbo. I myself will be boosting by the end of March!

He's actually asking a question that I haven't seen before-- specifically, which would be better for an automatic. I actually think a supercharger would be MUCH better for an automatic, for a few reasons.
1. smooth powerbank.. no jerking that could spell trouble for that tranny
2. no risk at ALL of overboosting. The worst that could happen is the belt breaks and you're back to not being boosted.
3. much simpler (benefits all, even non-autos)
4. you can even run it nonintercooled since you'll be running low boost (and just tune as necessary to keep things in check).

You won't find any information about superchargers on this forum though. You mention it and people just tell you that it doesn't exist. There are 626s and MX-6s running a roots-style superchargers, check mx6.com or some other forums for those cars. The people with older cars seem to have a lot more ingenuity, they find all sorts of cool things you can do that you can't just buy from a store like most people do for our cars.

Do some research, source a kit, install it, and you'll be the only roots-supercharged 3rd gen protege on this continent. Plus, it's a cheaper setup by a thousand two than a turbo and just so much simpler.

Last edited:
evilmonkeyMSP said:
go turbo, eisiest and cheapest way...you spend thousands on a supercharger and it mightr never happen...

I dont mind spending the money, whatever price it is.. Just want to know which is worth spending the money on for the power it gives, also, it's something for me to work towards.. Thanks!

Peace,
RJ

look up supercharger....seriously, you'd be wasting your money...
rjs_protege5 said:
I dont mind spending the money, whatever price it is.. Just want to know which is worth spending the money on for the power it gives, also, it's something for me to work towards.. Thanks!

Peace,
RJ

http://www.boosthead.com/home.php GO to that site they sell a SUPERCHARGER for the 2L. under make go MAZDA, then under model go 626 2.0L, then under product go EATON SUPERCHARGER

I think this would be the way to go it would be a tourque BEASSTTTT! and thats all you need anyway who needs to go 200mph. Thats what im doin when i get the $$$$, BEST OF LUCK!!!

by looking at that pic, wouldnt that have to go on the backside of our engines? Is there enough room to pull that off?

reynoldsrobbie said:
by looking at that pic, wouldnt that have to go on the backside of our engines? Is there enough room to pull that off?

might have to use a different strut tower brace. Our stock intake manifold is reeally tall so there actually is some room back there.

layout%20005.jpg

Hey this is not a fsde s/c but its a s/c for a 2.0 hyundai beta off an elantra. As you can see the roots blower is quite small its an Eaton MP 45 but it makes good power. I saw the blower its really small so a similar eaton mp 45 would probably fit in the 2.0 fsde.

It won't hit the firewall.. look:

productimage129-full.jpg

should even fit with stock strut tower brace:

productimage130-full.jpg

oh if only I had seen these pics before I spent my money on the turbo kit :(

Damnit now I wanna get a s/c on a 4 cylinder now lol its so compact and cool.

Back