Turbo: nobody home?

I feel your pain, unob. I was pissed when my new turbo didn't perform as expected, too.

You're right to reach out to Dave Coleman. But remember, he's the guy who's explanation of AWD was one you just couldn't accept. I hope he can help, and you can hear what he says.

And now I understand your problem with my original question. It was about turbos [the vehicles] not turbochargers. Obviously you didn't grok that, being so eager to troll.

I know my problem was engine related, because I didn't have TSC or anything like it, and no slushbox. So it could have been timing, wastegate, funky software, or something else. It'll be interesting to see what's wrong with yours.

Keep us informed, and keep that cheery attitude!

I have a bit of food for thought on this. I live in Lancaster Ny. I noticed my outside temp readings adjust very very slowly (anyone else experience this?). I have an insulated garage so if the temp over night inside the garage is 40 degF and the outside temp is much lower say 2 deg F, it can take several miles of driving for the outside temp to read correctly and adjust to the actual temp. Now the Engine response and tuning is adjusted based on many different sensors IE: I-Active system. Can this inaccurate outside temp reading cause the Turbo or Engine timing effected? I'm not a mechanic so just thinking out loud here. Anyway, I know the AWD reaction must surely be effected by this. Any thoughts on this?

Thats normal. If you hook up and OBDII scanner and look at engine data its real time. Not the same data you see on dash.

I can understand the frustration of wanting 310 ft-lb of torque at will. However if you really are in a slick driving environment, flooring it will only get you what? Tire spin. You're not going anywhere. Wouldn't you rather the car move forward progressively instead of just thrashing the tires on the slick road?

Still I understand the frustration. I hope this can get resolved for the few that have this issue.

Something to consider is that there may be more than one phenomenon going on here. It's not necessarily JUST a matter of pulling timing, or JUST a matter of interference from the traction control. It may be a combination of multiple things. What I've been describing may not be applicable to the 2.5T either. It's a substantially different engine with different ECU tuning. My car is a '17 and thus is of course an NA engine.

I'm not an engineer or an expert, I'm just offering my guess on these things and they should be taken as such. But enough people have described enough different things in this thread that conclude that we may not all be experiencing the same thing, which can really muddy the waters when trying to determine what's causing it.

Unobtanium, for example, says his turbo CX-5 suffers some power loss even after being running for 45 minutes. This could mean his ECU behaves differently than mine, it could mean there is a different cause such as intercooler heat soak for example, or it could mean that my vehicle has a problem such as a malfunctioning sensor for example and my experience may not represent what is typical for a CX-5.

I'd love to get a real explanation from Mazda about why this happens, but it's important to realize that what exactly they would be explaining still isn't totally clear.

I can understand the frustration of wanting 310 ft-lb of torque at will. However if you really are in a slick driving environment, flooring it will only get you what? Tire spin. You're not going anywhere. Wouldn't you rather the car move forward progressively instead of just thrashing the tires on the slick road?

Still I understand the frustration. I hope this can get resolved for the few that have this issue.

I haven't read all the posts here, but is everyone having this issue also on snow? Just because it's cold AF out doesn't mean there is snow on the ground.

To be fair, you guys are comparing your enthusiast/sports cars to a mass-marketed SUV. Hardly a fair comparison, so the advantage doesn't really hold water.

I doubt anyone here has actually tried to reach Dave Coleman either. If I were invested in sussing this issue out, I'd contact MNAO, get in touch with their Marketing dept and see if they could put me in touch with the proper contact in the Engineering dept. Helpful to have the videos to show the issue at hand.

Failing that, I'd attempt to get in touch with some auto publications who have worked with Dave in the past. For example, Jalopnik author Patrick George had Dave Coleman do a "live" Q&A. You could try reaching out to Patrick with the video footage showing the issue, and he may be able to contact Dave to explain the issue. I might also contact YouTube reviewers who have had Dave as a guest on some of their videos.

This is all just speculation, but it's a little better than twiddling my thumbs and waiting for someone at the dealership/corporate to call me back.

*EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your post Uno. Hope he responds with some good/useful info.
He's got a LinkedIn Profile. Not a big LinkedIn guy so not sure if you can message that way...

I did get this today from Mazda CS:

Service Request Number [REDACTED]

Dear [REDACTED],

Good Morning

I have an update in regards to your inquiry about the 0-60 mph taking 10
sec during cold weather. Looks like the air to fuel ratio can alter the
performance of the vehicle during cold weather. Reason why you are
witnessing the speed difference. I recommend trying during warmer
weather to see if the speed time changes. I spoke to your local dealer
they advised you can always bring it in if you feel there is an issue.

Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center.

If you have any questions in the future, you can reach me directly using
the number and extension below.

Sincerely,
William
Representative, Customer Experience
(SR Number: [REDACTED])

I, too, spoke with the local dealer. THEY wanted me to call Mazda...

Traction Control can handle that, or more prudent use of the accelerator. Seems Mazda has said A/F ratios are modified in the cold. I have inquired further...

In my ever wavering thoughts these days............ :) :)

Before these latest posts the CX-5T was bumped up and was threatening to take the #1 spot in my eclectic list. Some days I think rationally thus the CX-5 is still in play.

Before:
  1. Macan S
  2. CX-5 T
  3. Golf R
  4. GTI
  5. Audi SQ5

Currently:
  1. GTI
  2. Macan S
  3. Golf R T-Roc (if it comes to the US)
  4. Audi SQ5
  5. CX-5 T

But of course ask me tomorrow and it might be different again. Of the cars on this list all can be slightly to heavily modded with Stage 1 to Stage 3 tunes except the CX-5. There are rumors that the MK8 GTI will be getting closer to 300 whp without a tune.

Coming to work this morning I took off fast from a red light (my usual driving behavior). A guy on a street bike pulls up and sits even with my door as if to race. Yeah right! I've got 187 hp and the bike he was on I would need a Porsche GT2 RS, which is, sadly, not on my list as if I could even get on that list at Porsche to buy.

Well anyway I hope things get sorted out and that I read more people say the CX-5T performs decently in all temperatures. I have made a mental note of those who say they have not had any issues.

Before these latest posts the CX-5T was bumped up and was threatening to take the #1 spot in my eclectic list. Some days I think rationally thus the CX-5 is still in play.

Before:
  1. Macan S
  2. CX-5 T
  3. Golf R
  4. GTI
  5. Audi SQ5

Currently:
  1. GTI
  2. Macan S
  4. Audi SQ5
  5. CX-5 T

But of course ask me tomorrow and it might be different again. Of the cars on this list all can be slightly to heavily modded with Stage 1 to Stage 3 tunes except the CX-5. There are rumors that the MK8 GTI will be getting closer to 300 whp without a tune.

Coming to work this morning I took off fast from a red light (my usual driving behavior). A guy on a street bike pulls up and sits even with my door as if to race. Yeah right! I've got 187 hp and the bike he was on I would need a Porsche GT2 RS, which is, sadly, not on my list as if I could even get on that list at Porsche to buy.

Well anyway I hope things get sorted out and that I read more people say the CX-5T performs decently in all temperatures. I have made a mental note of those who say they have not had any issues.

Also keep in mind that even a 2017 N/A owner has issues in the cold...

Personally, I'd go Macan S, from your list, if money isn't a factor. It will perform very well, they are very reliable, and it will retain value VERY well.

The CX5T is the "cheap option that punches above its weight".

Hrmmm...

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/615219242/GR+Boost+Creep

Temp was low (13*F), and closest atmosphere station lists pressure as 30.50mmHg (14.98psi) at that time/date. I was also running 91 octane.

I find it very interesting and maybe possible that I was experiencing, or risking boost creep and the ECU was killing fuel trims hardcore to mitigate it. This would explain the super linear acceleration, as well as massive lack of power, while also making what Mazda told me, factual.

I am not saying BC is the issue, or that it occurred, but maybe Mazda has tuned this in to prevent it from occurring? Again, this is not something I am pushing hard, but it is a possible theory?

*You will note that in all videos, warm and cold, 50-80 takes roughly 6 seconds...although 0-60 is a DRAMATIC difference of 3.5 seconds.
**This said, the turbo in the CX5T has a pretty big wastegate...dunno.

Last edited:
Yeah I liked your post comparing your ride in the friend's AMG and your new CX-5. If you feel as if the ride and refinement is very comparable to a Mercedes that helps.

The engine and transmission in his AMG blew my CX5 out of the water. The wider tires were just physics. Otherwise? Honestly? My CX5 GT-R was at least as nice, and seemed more "isolated" in the cabin. I left feeling quite pumped about my purchase, really, because anyone can read the power stats and tell you the AMG would crush the CX5. I was just super happy with how it was, otherwise.

He's got a LinkedIn Profile. Not a big LinkedIn guy so not sure if you can message that way...

Yeah I saw that too. Doesn't look like he uses it much (if at all), but worth a shot.

I haven't read all the posts here, but is everyone having this issue also on snow? Just because it's cold AF out doesn't mean there is snow on the ground.
To be honest, I don't even think this is a widespread issue. I don't know for sure what the AWD system or the tune will do. I am assuming that if it is really cold out, regardless of whether it is snowing or not, the AWD system knows it is cold and will cut power if it is programmed to prioritize traction.

Traction Control can handle that, or more prudent use of the accelerator. Seems Mazda has said A/F ratios are modified in the cold. I have inquired further...
The end result is the same. Traction control will cut power ending in slow acceleration. Feathering the gas pedal to not spin the tires also ends up in slow acceleration.

The boost creep issue is interesting. If it is indeed happening, I can understand why Mazda is aggressively cutting off power to avoid blowing up the engine.

Right at 10 F all season tires like those fitted stock dont have good grip even on dry pavement. Winter tires arent just about snow/ice its about temperature range.

Before:
  1. Macan S
  2. CX-5 T
  3. Golf R
  4. GTI
  5. Audi SQ5

Currently:
  1. GTI
  2. Macan S
  4. Audi SQ5
  5. CX-5 T

What happened to the golf R?

If I was going to trade in my cx-5 today, that would be top of my list. I love my cx-5 but if I could go back in time I would consider the VW way more seriously. Maybe in a couple years I'll look at a trade in for a CPO golf R.

Macan S would be out for me as it's just too much $$, but it's a damn great car.

Back