TSB 01-004/10 (8/18/2010) Smoking Turbo (Speed 3)

Sorry for the dumb question ppl(new to the ms3) just got mine 2days ago and reading up on them.. so I read the attachment and it says that it is if you experience smoke out of the exhaust. So this doesn't include a light smoke here and there out of the hood area? Because occasionally after driving I see a little smoke coming out of the hood area. Am I just being paranoid?

So I put my car back in again for smoking and boosting issues. The dealer told me the car is not smoking for them, but they do notice a problem with the car accelerating. It almost feels as if the car is constantly dropping and recovering boost by 1 or 2 pounds as it accelerates. Like a wavering feeling. You can hear the problem in the intake as the car goes under boost. They drove my car over 100 miles and kept it for a week but could not figure out what is wrong with it. I am trying to think of the best way to explain how it sounds. The car is not actually loosing boost, just feels that way. That's what the dealer said any how, since I do not have a boost gauge. I have only noticed the car do this in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear from 3k all the way to the red line. Has any one else experienced this?

I get a *ton* of smoke from under the hood. In my case, it's most likely because my intake is open (SRI, inlet pipe, etc).

Thankfully, my dealer didn't balk at all about doing the ventilation kit. They're getting the parts in tomorrow and will put it on then. No charge. Wahoo! Let's hope this fixes it. If not, they said they *will* change the turbo out. I was shocked they didn't put up any type of fight at all. Good for them. Gave me faith in dealers again...;)

So I put my car back in again for smoking and boosting issues. The dealer told me the car is not smoking for them, but they do notice a problem with the car accelerating. It almost feels as if the car is constantly dropping and recovering boost by 1 or 2 pounds as it accelerates. Like a wavering feeling. You can hear the problem in the intake as the car goes under boost. They drove my car over 100 miles and kept it for a week but could not figure out what is wrong with it. I am trying to think of the best way to explain how it sounds. The car is not actually loosing boost, just feels that way. That's what the dealer said any how, since I do not have a boost gauge. I have only noticed the car do this in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear from 3k all the way to the red line. Has any one else experienced this?

I get the accelerating thing on occasion if the weather is warm.. to me it feels like the factory BPV isn't holding up.

I have 59,600 miles on my 2008 MS3. Production Date 11/2007.

Smoking turbo for about 20,000 miles now, if not more.

The dealer continues to tell me there is nothing they can do about it. That Mazda claims this is completely normal and Mazda claims that burning up to a quart of oil every 1000 miles is to be expected.

Additionally I asked about my rusty wiper arms and they said that that was due to the environment I live in. Again just noticed the rusty wiper arm TSB.

Will be printing both of these and presenting them to Mazda.

Lets see how it goes.

Gmac

^good luck, seems you have been getting the run around for awhile so i hope it works out for you.

Service manager contacted the DSM and told me they are looking into it, but most likely will use a ventilation kit that has come out in the past few weeks instead of replacing the turbo.

I'm not sure what that consists of but honestly if it fixes the car and stops it from smoking, I guess I'm ok with it.

The service manager also stated that they have never seen my car smoke. Which leads me to believe they have never looked for it. In the past month I've filled a Lowes parking lot and a local carwash and it's parking lot with white smoke. So bad at the car wash that they shut it down cause they thought my car was on fire. Awesome!

Gmac

Figured I'd post up here again to give a small update. My turbo was replaced around 30k and now at 50k my second turbo has gone out and Mazda keeps denying that it is smoking even though I brought a video of the car at my house prior to arrival to the dealer. They want me to run a carbon cleaner something which is going to cost me 150$ and will not pay me back if it does not stop smoking. Wonder if the THIRD turbo will work.

I have a non-smoking stock turbo I can sell ya along with the bnoon restrictor bolt, and I'm local. I can get you all set up with all the possible fixes that will stop you from smoking.
Remember to run 5w40 oil, too.

Does this technical sevice bullentin cover your car under the powertrain warranty? I know my car have 5yr/ 60,000mi powertrain warranty. Does this bullentin work only if your car is less than 60k?

Back