Trouble starting the car

:
Mazda CX-5
My cx-5 does not always give me the green key light and will not start. Takes several attempts of hitting brake pedal. Also my low tire pressure light and traction control light display. Now my check engine light is also on.

What year is your CX-5? Are you in the US or Canada? And when was the last time the battery was changed (if ever)? Has the battery ever been run down to empty? Also, does the car eventually start after a few tries?

One thing I would suggest is making sure the battery terminals are securely connected. After that, take the car to an auto parts store like Autozone to see if they can load test the battery. Much of the time, unexplained errors like the above can be attributed to a faulty battery.

Upvote 0
What year is your CX-5? Are you in the US or Canada? And when was the last time the battery was changed (if ever)? Has the battery ever been run down to empty? Also, does the car eventually start after a few tries?

One thing I would suggest is making sure the battery terminals are securely connected. After that, take the car to an auto parts store like Autozone to see if they can load test the battery. Much of the time, unexplained errors like the above can be attributed to a faulty battery.

It's a 2015 and I'm in the US

Upvote 0
When a person comes on a car forum for help it's a damn good idea to provide as much info as you possibly can, not only about the issue you're having but also as much info as you can supply about the car.

Expecting the folks, that you are asking help of, to pry that info out of you first isn't going to get you anywhere fast.

Think about it.

Upvote 0
If you're still using the original battery that the car came with, I'd suggest swapping it for a new one just to be sure. If you don't want to do that, find a good independent shop and have them run a diagnostic for you. But at this point, your car is probably due for a new battery anyway, so that's the first thing I'd try.

You can get a new battery from Costco for less than $80 I think. Group 35 size.

Upvote 0
When a person comes on a car forum for help it's a damn good idea to provide as much info as you possibly can, not only about the issue you're having but also as much info as you can supply about the car.

Expecting the folks, that you are asking help of, to pry that info out of you first isn't going to get you anywhere fast.

Think about it.
Exactly.
A lot of people don't even put in their profile the type of car or year.

Upvote 0
Exactly.
A lot of people don't even put in their profile the type of car or year.

To be fair, some people aren't as forum-savvy as others. Also, some only use forums for quick answers, and don't stick around for very long. It would certainly be nice if all of that info was available from the jump, but instead of focusing on that, let's focus on helping the OP out (y)

Upvote 0
My cx-5 does not always give me the green key light and will not start. Takes several attempts of hitting brake pedal. Also my low tire pressure light and traction control light display. Now my check engine light is also on.
You car has the CEL on, go to AutoZone and read the error code and get the resolution for the code.

Upvote 0
Dying battery is one prime suspect.
But, I don't if that every triggers a CEL.

Could be. As someone wise said, try the cheaper fix first.
Replace the battery, especially if it is old already.
Load test is not 100% reliable. It depends on who performed the test.

Upvote 0
And when was the last time the battery was changed (if ever)?
Good question that went unanswered. Is this the original battery, 6 years old? If so, that would be #1 on the list potential causes of the OP's issues regardless of what one test might show. It's time for a new one regardless and especially with winter on the horizon if the OP is a northerner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This summer, my original 2016 battery had a resting voltage (first thing in the morning) of 11.9 volts. That's m. o. o. n. spells dead. Yet, it would start the car. I often had odd failures of the entertainment system after the first start, but not later. Others here have reported your kind of odd symptoms from a weak battery. Likely because the battery voltage drops too low during cranking. The OEM battery has high capacity, more than a group 35 will, and can manage to crank the engine when just becoming defective.

Upvote 0
Back