Trim or option regrets after purchasing

If you’re concerned on complexity, you should be concerned more on cylinder deactivation coming with the non-turbo 2.5L. Personally I prefer not to get the turbo either. But between the turbo and cylinder deactivation, I definitely will choose turbo as turbo has been improved so much on reliability, but not the CD. All the issues we’ve seen in the history of CD from every car manufacture who has been using it should raise the flag to us. And the design theory with deactivated cylinders running passively and compressing the air uselessly which simply just don’t add up the efficiency.

Use the Mazda SkyActive-G 2.5L and 2.5T as the example. 2.5T has been out since 2016 and there’s almost nothing on serious issues and TSBs reported. But from the 2.5L with CD since 2018, we’ve seen at least 3 TSBs or Service Alerts, and one major safety recall for falling rocker arms.

AWD gives us more safety protection during bad road conditions. And I would want the AWD feature on an SUV otherwise it doesn’t feel like a one to me. The complexity is minimum and it’s useful at a necessary time.

But to each their own, and that’s why you love the P-51 and I like the P-38 ⋯ :)
I may be off topic here, but turbochargers are not that exotic anymore, especially with modern materials that can handle the hot exhaust gasses.

Now in WWII when the P51 and P38 were flying, they used two stage superchargers for the Packard (Rolls Royce Merlin) engined P51 and a complex turbo supercharger on the Allison engined P-38s, way more complex and exotic (well maybe not the two stage superchargers, which were much more reliable than the turbo supercharger equivalent).

I am looking at purchasing a 2021 CX-5 Grand Touring without the Premium Package this month. I really don't think I need the heated rear seats or folding mirrors. Just more things to go bad. Has anyone had regrets on the trim package or options they purchased? I am also considering a Touring with the Preferred Package to save a few dollars. Leaning towards the GT without the PP as that looks like the biggest bang for the buck. I am new to Mazda and just stumbled across this forum last night. Lots of good info here. Thanks in advance.
I should have got the signature. Because always buy the best. But the GTR really did come super close to it, so I don't really care except that the Sg exists, lol

We test drove a Touring and loved the interior but the engine left a ton to be desired. Test drove a Carbon Edition Turbo and we fell in love. Would have drove it off the lot that night if numbers made sense, but they weren't budging. We're still negotiating with several dealerships and hope to be in one by end of month.
You're experience mirrors what I have said on other threads. Most (not saying all) of those that say they are happy with the non-turbo and didn't 'need' it have never driven the Turbo. Once you drive the Turbo it's like "holy cow, these two cars aren't anything alike, it's like driving a comletely different model" - which it kind of is. And most who have drive the Turbo curse it because now they have to find a way to buy it.

You guys have a need for speed :cool:
I'm perfectly happy with the pick up the NA has, it easily accelerates enough to merge onto the highway. I had a fast turbo charged car in my youth. The difference is, when I had the sports car and I wanted to change lanes, I would accelerate to pass the car in that lane and go in. With a slower car I brake and change lanes behind the car in that lane.

FWIW I'm also perfectly happy with my '20 GT / PP with no turbo. At 64 my driving "style" is slow and steady wins the race. I love the interior, and in Chicago the heated and cooled seats are great while AWD is pretty much a necessity at times. The HUD is a nice feature and works well with the built in nav system.

This is my third CX-5 GT, I've had a '15, '17 and now the '20 since I lease them in 3 year increments and the car has gotten better every time.

I also like the adaptive headlights and the front windshield wiper heater, very nice on those crappy snow days. The infotainment system is a little clunky, but I've played with enough of those things that I've decided they all have their ups and downs. And I do like the volume control in the center console and use it more than the wheel buttons.

No matter what you pick it will still be a great value for the money.

And most who have drive the Turbo curse it because now they have to find a way to buy it.
Exactly....😎

Same with a previous vehicle purchase. I was all set to put a deposit on a 4 cylinder VW Passat until the salesman said "why don't try the V6" which was several thousand dollars more. Of course I bought the V6.

Same with a previous vehicle purchase. I was all set to put a deposit on a 4 cylinder VW Passat until the salesman said "why don't try the V6" which was several thousand dollars more. Of course I bought the V6.
I bought a VW Passat V6 with 5-speed manual too, that was the 2001.5 MY. Turned out it was a lemon as the engine was burning a quart of oil per 800 ~ 1,000 miles since new. Unfortunately VWoA refused to do anything on that Audi’s 2.8L V6 under warranty even though I’d visited my VW dealer numerous times trying to resolve the problem. Ended up I got rid of it early which is against my usual behavior keeping my car for a long time. And it also broke my trend of getting only VW vehicles for many years. It’s a shame as that Passat drove great with a V6 matching a 5-speed manual, and I had to special order one from Germany. And it’s also my last vehicle with a manual shift, I really wanted to keep it as long as possible.

I really love the birds eye parking view on my 2019 Sig. And the head up display speedometer is very helpful for me. I admit I don't use the heads up nav, despite thinking it was awfully fancy when I purchased. CarPlay and Apple maps just didn't require any learning curve.

I really love the birds eye parking view on my 2019 Sig.
Another example where (mostly) those that have never had it say "meh, don't need it". Whereas those who have had one will always want another one. I can say honestly that I use it on at least 9 of my 10 drives, and it also includes the "looking down the front sides of your car to see the curb" (not shown here)
5ccb559c021b4c1291294e45.jpg

Another example where (mostly) those that have never had it say "meh, don't need it". Whereas those who have had one will always want another one. I can say honestly that I use it on at least 9 of my 10 drives, and it also includes the "looking down the front sides of your car to see the curb" (not shown here)View attachment 296618
That's what I am talking about! I thought this was a gimmick until we had it!

That's what I am talking about! I thought this was a gimmick until we had it!

It's a lot like many of the other convenience features on most modern cars. I said the same thing about radar cruise control, BSM/RCTA, HUD, parking sensors, etc.. all features that are now "wants", but would not make or break a purchase (at least for me).

I really love the birds eye parking view on my 2019 Sig. And the head up display speedometer is very helpful for me. I admit I don't use the heads up nav, despite thinking it was awfully fancy when I purchased. CarPlay and Apple maps just didn't require any learning curve.
Heads up display is a must for me, one of the best features.

I liked the turn by turn when using NAV, but the NAV interface is so terrible compared to Android Auto, that there was no looking back once the upgrade was available for my 2018 GT. Hopefully the next generation will be able to integrate Android Auto into the heads up display.

Still have pangs for missing out on the diesel, although it isn't really supported, being a 1 year model) and has the ugly brown on black interior.

I might have preferred a turbo, but can't justify the expense and poorer mileage without even improved towing capacity. The only time I miss it is when I'm trying to merge into traffic. It may have learned from my usually layed back driving, but feels like I'm in 3rd gear when I try to punch it from 5mph or something. Turbo wasn't an option in 18 anyway though.

I've had my 2019 GT with preferred package for a year today. Zero regrets and concur with Hal above, the vented seats & HUD display are amazing...worth it. Also, the mirrors folding in are a great convenience...if they fail, oh well.
I really like the HUD, living in Southern New Mexico the vented seats are certainly a nice plus in the summer... The only advantage of the folding mirrors is I can see from a distance if I locked the vehicle when I left... I would imagine they're going to be a problem in a northern icy and snowy winter environment...

I might have preferred a turbo, but can't justify the expense and poorer mileage without even improved towing capacity. The only time I miss it is when I'm trying to merge into traffic. It may have learned from my usually layed back driving, but feels like I'm in 3rd gear when I try to punch it from 5mph or something.
I feel the same way as you. I prioritized gas mileage above power. Like another poster said, when pulling onto the interstate, I blend in behind the oncoming traffic rather than dash out to get ahead of it. If I had to drive a lot of 2-lane roads where passing slow vehicles was necessary, then the turbo might have been more important to me. Also, if the turbo had increased the car’s towing capacity, then that might have been a game changer too.

Back