Trick to registering new TPMS (2021)

I got new snow tires Friday on my winter wheels for my 2021 signature. Discount Tire put new sensors in the wheels. When I was leaving they said they put it in learn mode and they will connect after enough driving. 3 days and 50+ miles later the light is still on.

I've read the manual and tried going from ignition on to off and wait more than 15 minutes and drive for 10 but it hasn't grabbed them. I did 2 trips the other night that were 15 miles and longer than 10 minutes with most of it being constant 65 mph on the highway.

My previous vehicles all required the electronic gizmo to mate the sensors so I'm at a loss here. The tire shop is crazy busy this time of year and I don't have time to drop off or sit there waiting unless I really have to.

It's possible that the installer didn't configure the sensors correctly. If you have a Costco membership, you could visit their shop and ask them to configure them for you. Or maybe just call around to other shops and see if they can squeeze you in. Most tire shops carry the same equipment for configuring TPMS sensors. Your DT invoice should have the part number of the TPMS sensors installed on it, so if you bring that invoice to any shop, they should be able to use their equipment to properly configure the sensors. Be prepared to pay for that though.

I got new snow tires Friday on my winter wheels for my 2021 signature. Discount Tire put new sensors in the wheels. When I was leaving they said they put it in learn mode and they will connect after enough driving. 3 days and 50+ miles later the light is still on.

I've read the manual and tried going from ignition on to off and wait more than 15 minutes and drive for 10 but it hasn't grabbed them. I did 2 trips the other night that were 15 miles and longer than 10 minutes with most of it being constant 65 mph on the highway.

My previous vehicles all required the electronic gizmo to mate the sensors so I'm at a loss here. The tire shop is crazy busy this time of year and I don't have time to drop off or sit there waiting unless I really have to.
Aftermarket TPMS sensor needs to be Mazda TPMS system compatible. If the sensors are compatible, there’s nothing special to register these new TPMS sensors. The most popular aftermarket TPMS sensor for CX-5 is:

Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 (315MHz + 433MHz) Clamp-in 100% Cloneable TPMS Programmable Sensor

If the Discount Tire put in incorrect TPMS sensors, or they programmed the sensors wrongly, your CX-5 won’t register new sensors automatically. Since it’s the DT who put in the sensors, you can only get back to DT and have then resolve the issue. Costco won’t be a good option to resolve the issue as they didn’t put in the sensors initially, and getting into Costco for tire service is a lot worse than DT. I called America’s Tire last Thursday and got an appointment this afternoon for tire rotation and balancing. But this’s in San Jose. I have never had any issues walking in for any tire service, mostly flat repair, and get out of there within 1 ~ 2 hours at my DT in Dallas.

Call your DT and make an appointment. You can wait until you have time to take the CX-5 in. Letting the TPMS warning light on won’t hurt anything. In fact, quite a few CX-5 owners are just doing that with winter tires on as they don’t want spend extra money on sensors.

Back