Transmission Shop Ruined My Bearings!

ITPro47

:
2006 Mazda Tribute
My 2006 Tribute has just over 87,000 miles on it. Suddenly two weeks ago the automatic transmission would not engage... I managed to limp in 1st to a Pep Boys, who told me they don't do transmissions, but sent me to a Cottman Transmission shop they deal with a few blocks away. Limped the car there... after days of waiting for an answer (a post for another time), I was told the whole transmission needed replacement. Much as I didn't think so, I agreed to the $3,000 repair. After waiting another few days, the work was done and I went to get it, taking the hour long trip on public transit on Friday. As I drove it home, I thought it felt a bit tight, but I didn't notice anything bad until I got home and turned off the radio and heard a grinding noise when I turned the wheel left or right. The shop was closed, I didn't drive the car on the weekend for fear of something bad, and called first thing Monday. Was told to schlep back to the shop and they'd look at it. I could not do that until Wednesday AM. When I arrived, the guy says, "I'm WAY too busy to look at it today! Let me drive it around for a bit and see what I hear." He gets back and says he cannot hear anything over the road noise and wet pavement from the overnight rain, but assures me the brakes are fine and I should have no problem getting it home. By the time I get home, the noise on turns has become a loud rubbing going straight, louder than the RADIO! I call and tell the guy what has happened... he tells me to bring it back and they'll try to get to it ASAP. Now I lose it for another weekend, and on Monday I get a call and am told my wheel bearings are shot! There was ZERO indication of any trouble at all before I went there; the minute I leave the bearings go? I find that hard to believe... and know they did something to screw it up. Guy claims they don't do anything that could cause that, and now it's a major battle, maybe even legal.

Can someone address this and give me some information that I can use to fight this disaster? Thanks!

Back