Transmission fluid change

Own a 2012 Mazda5 Sport, 95k miles. Purchased in 2016 at 73k miles.

Don't know if transmission fluid has been ever changed, but it is dark, so I am looking to do a drain and fill.

Planning on buying a few quarts of Mazda Genuine ATF M-V, Type M5, #0000-77-112E-01.

Interested in your opinions:
-Is the extra price for Mazda Genuine worth it vs. the universal brands?
-For those that buy Mazda Genuine transmission fluid, where do you usually get it, looking at Amazon or zoomzoomnationparts.com. This stuff ain't cheap.
-Should 4 quarts be sufficient for 1 drain and fill? I don't want to buy too much as (per orders from my wife) storage space is limited.
-Assuming this is the first time doing a drain and fill, when should I do it again?
-Anything else I am not considering?

Thank you

You talking an automatic?

If an automatic, I know on my other car it takes 16 quarts for a full drain and fill.

Most of the fluid in an automatic is in the Torque Converter and you need to get it pumped out.

Or you can drain the bit in the pan, replace with 2-4 quarts and just do it every month until the color comes back.

Own a 2012 Mazda5 Sport, 95k miles. Purchased in 2016 at 73k miles.

Don't know if transmission fluid has been ever changed, but it is dark, so I am looking to do a drain and fill.

Planning on buying a few quarts of Mazda Genuine ATF M-V, Type M5, #0000-77-112E-01.

Interested in your opinions:
-Is the extra price for Mazda Genuine worth it vs. the universal brands? - no
-For those that buy Mazda Genuine transmission fluid, where do you usually get it, looking at Amazon or zoomzoomnationparts.com. This stuff ain't cheap.
-Should 4 quarts be sufficient for 1 drain and fill? I don't want to buy too much as (per orders from my wife) storage space is limited. -yes
-Assuming this is the first time doing a drain and fill, when should I do it again? - next oil change - do 3x to get most out.
-Anything else I am not considering?

Thank you
This has been discussed a lot previously. Use search. Here is one link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...ence-on-the-mz5.123824925/page-2#post-6163622

I've put my answers to your questions in bold above. I would suggest the valvoline maxlife - cheap at Walmart.

Looks like the full capacity is near 8qt as best I can find. Again, do the 3-4qt drain and fill 2 or 3 more times over 2-3 months and you will get it really close to new.

No way is 4qt enough for a full drain and fill.

Yes way. It's a great start. Just fill till it's full and done.

I drained and measured the fluid from my '12 Mazda 5 (for 12 hours) and it was 3.5 US quarts. The Owners Manual says the capacity is 8.6 US quarts.

Maybe some burned or evaporated? Is the system and converter holding over 5 quarts of oil?

Draw your own conclusions.

Tell me your experiences with how you know that 4qt is not enough, please.

Because I know that automatic transmissions have Torque Converters? And Torque Converters hold the MAJORITY of the fluid and do not just "drain".

Just draining from the drain plug WILL NOT DRAIN EVERYTHING IN AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SYSTEM.

Last edited:
Yes way. It's a great start. Just fill till it's full and done.

I drained and measured the fluid from my '12 Mazda 5 (for 12 hours) and it was 3.5 US quarts. The Owners Manual says the capacity is 8.6 US quarts.

Maybe some burned or evaporated? Is the system and converter holding over 5 quarts of oil?

Draw your own conclusions.

Tell me your experiences with how you know that 4qt is not enough, please.

Also google "transmission flush machine". Professional transmission shops have this to flush, in addition to the drain and transmission pan replacement.

Though the transmission fluid flush is rarely recommended if your fluid is already dark or smelled burned (for cars with more than 70k miles) because the "friction material" are suspended in the fluid within the torque converter between the pressure / clutch plates can get flushed out and cause the gear to slip if the plates do not have enough friction to hold each other at certain gear.

Safer way is like what you did, just change the fluid in the pan, drive 20k-30k miles, repeat the process and then after another 20k-30k do it again. Then it should last another 70k before another fluid change.

Also one of the threads here had the comparison on different transmission fluid brands. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned the stock M-V (M5) type does not last long comparing to its alternatives.

Late to reply but look up how to do the fluid flush by removing the hose off the cooler method. I think you need 8 or 9 quarts but you get almost all the dirty fluid out.

I use the Mazda M-V and got it from tascaparts last time.

Good to know.

My other car (Toyota) had a tranny cooler and this is a decent method as you use the transmission while the engine is running to pump fluid through the Torque Converter and out that cooler hose.

With the Mazda5 being only 8qts. Two drain and fills from the pan over a month would probably work just fine (you'll be near 75% fresh fluid...three would be near 87%).

Back