Transmission failure

Keatonc

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
I was driving my car pretty rough, and switching into third gear at about 7krpm, it seemed that it went empty and so i immediately switched to 4th to maintain speed. But when I got off the highway, the whole transmission was messed up. First and second do not work, I can get it to slide into the gear slot but it acts as if it is 5th gear. 3-5 gears seem to work. WHen the car is in neutral position, it is actually in 3rd gear. and reverse does not work either. What happened?

Okay, i found another thread finally that discussed this issue. Before I go try and find a used transmission, which other transmissions are interchangeable for the MP3? ive heard the svt focus is but those are hard to find too. and protege 1800 but those are weak.

Your best bet is a reg protege trans used, rebuilt your current with stronger gears. Mfactoryis looking into making gears for the proteges.

I found an 03 mazda3 transmission nearby, Ive looked up the specs and everything for the two trannys are the same except mazda3 uses cable actuation and protege uses rod actuation. Would it still hook up the same way?

I found an 03 mazda3 transmission nearby, Ive looked up the specs and everything for the two trannys are the same except mazda3 uses cable actuation and protege uses rod actuation. Would it still hook up the same way?

No. I doubt you found an 03 mazda 3 transmission.

01-03 protege 2.0 trans or the 01+ 626 trans will work and it has a different 5th to lower rpms. Or do a bit of research and see what else fits its a g15mr. Honestly the older probes 626s mx6s will work as well. Do some research and see what the g15mr came in. You can literally go to a junkyard and find one in every junk yard

Focus svt and Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 will not work, huge differences there. Plus cable trans sucks

Back