Transmission cooler standard on AWD CX-9?

AlexOB

2017 CX9 Sport AWD
As I get ready to tow a camper, I am trying to find a definite answer weather transmission cooler and larger radiator are standard on 2017 CX9 AWD sport model in US. Thanks.

I don't think there is a special transmission cooler and larger radiator if you have AWD instead of front wheel drive. How much does the camper weigh?

About 2800 lbs loaded. My concern is the altitude in Arizona, Utah and Nevada.
I am not sure if it will be excessive load to get up to 8000-9000 ft. I might install a transmission cooler just to be on the safe side.

The first generation CX-9 had a separate tow package option for FWD models. The AWDs came with it automatically.

The second generation models don't have a tow package option. The owners manual lists the maximum trailer weight as 3500 pounds and the maximum gross combined vehicle/trailer weight as almost 8400 pounds (4400 curb weight + 500 passengers/luggage + 3500 trailer). It also states that the 8400 pound maximum should be reduced by 10% for every 1000 meters of elevation. Using that guidance, above 2500 meters (roughly 8000 feet) the max weight should be less than 6300 pounds. It appears that your trailer is about 2x too heavy to remain within Mazda's recommendations.

I very much agree with the calculation. My only option is to avoid altitudes over 2000ft, or just go for camping. Thanks jal142.

Back