Traded CX-5 for 2018 Tiguan

I tested the Tiguan when I bought my 2014 I was coming from a Audi and needed the shape and seating position of a compact SUV I was very disappointed in the Tiguan handling compared to the CX-5.
Both vehicles are now 2ed generation so I thought perhaps things had changed. A quick search found this.

You wont have much fun (but then youre probably not expecting much),
On standard springs and dampers, the Tiguan doesnt give you as much encouragement to drive it hard as a BMW X1, a Ford Kuga or a Mazda CX-5 does,
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/tiguan/ride

At a portly 4086 pounds, this top-of-the-line all-wheel-drive SEL Premium weighed a full 330 pounds more than a previous-generation Tiguan 4MOTION and is a whopping 578 pounds heavier than a Honda CR-V Touring with all-wheel drive.

Despite sharing its MQB bones with Volkswagen Group cars such as the Audi A3 and the VW Golf, the heftier Tiguan lacks those models engaging dynamics. Soft springs allow the compact crossover to pitch and roll through turns, while the SEL Premiums 19-inch Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires generated only enough grip to keep the Tiguan stuck to our 300-foot skidpad at 0.79 g, or 0.06 g less than we recorded in an all-wheel-drive Ford Escape. Meanwhile, the Tiguans overboosted and numb electrically assisted power-steering system saps driver confidence, as the fingertip-light wheel is devoid of on-center feel and fails to build proper weight with speed.
http://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/tiguan

It may be the perfect car for some, Even for many. For me so far it looks like when I move up, it will be to a 2016 CX-5

I tested the Tiguan when I bought my 2014 I was coming from a Audi and needed the shape and seating position of a compact SUV I was very disappointed in the Tiguan handling compared to the CX-5.
Both vehicles are now 2ed generation so I thought perhaps things had changed. A quick search found this.

You won’t have much fun (but then you’re probably not expecting much),
On standard springs and dampers, the Tiguan doesn’t give you as much encouragement to drive it hard as a BMW X1, a Ford Kuga or a Mazda CX-5 does,
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/tiguan/ride

At a portly 4086 pounds, this top-of-the-line all-wheel-drive SEL Premium weighed a full 330 pounds more than a previous-generation Tiguan 4MOTION and is a whopping 578 pounds heavier than a Honda CR-V Touring with all-wheel drive.

Despite sharing its MQB bones with Volkswagen Group cars such as the Audi A3 and the VW Golf, the heftier Tiguan lacks those models’ engaging dynamics. Soft springs allow the compact crossover to pitch and roll through turns, while the SEL Premium’s 19-inch Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires generated only enough grip to keep the Tiguan stuck to our 300-foot skidpad at 0.79 g, or 0.06 g less than we recorded in an all-wheel-drive Ford Escape. Meanwhile, the Tiguan’s overboosted and numb electrically assisted power-steering system saps driver confidence, as the fingertip-light wheel is devoid of on-center feel and fails to build proper weight with speed.
http://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/tiguan

It may be the perfect car for some, Even for many. For me so far it looks like when I move up, it will be to a 2016 CX-5

I know nothing of the Tiguan but I have seen them reviewed with positive reviews. As nice as the 2016 CX-5 is, I would strongly consider the 2017. It is a much nicer car all around. I have a 2014 GT as well and after spending 2-4 hours in the 2017, I generally dislike my car!

I know nothing of the Tiguan but I have seen them reviewed with positive reviews. As nice as the 2016 CX-5 is, I would strongly consider the 2017. It is a much nicer car all around. I have a 2014 GT as well and after spending 2-4 hours in the 2017, I generally dislike my car!

The Autocar article was a favorable review. (the Tiguan betters the Honda CR-V, Range Rover Evoque and the BMW X1, while the Ford Kuga is engaging enough to give it class honors) They didn't mind the handling and I am a bit odd for a compact SUV driver. Handling is over half of my requirements. For example I would buy a CSUV with no cup holders and no Infotainment if it handled significantly better then the others.

As someone who doesn't care about all those f̶a̶n̶c̶y̶ expensive extras. I much prefer my 2014 ;)

Back before I got my 13 cx5 I was trying to get a tiguan. Couldn't get approved for the trim I wanted. Ended up in the cx5 but I'm glad I did. I'd have gotten more power out pf that Tiguan by now for sure but def wouldn't handle the same.

I am in the process of doing the opposite. I have a 2011 Tiguan and am in the process of switching to a new CX5. I am waiting until the diesels come out so that I can compare the two. I bought the Tig used at 8,000 miles (VW was prev owner) and have put on 60.000 miles of my own. I really have enjoyed it. The things I like the best is the power it has, how comfortable the seats are, the pano roof (as a previous jeep YJ owner, this was my consolation for moving to an adult car). The dynaudio sound system is also pretty great sounding. I dislike the audio head end, it is very slow to start up - 30-60 seconds to get any audio on start. The backup camera is through the head end so it can take 30 to 60 seconds to see backing out. So basically I would like a technology upgrade which I am sure is in place in the newer models. I am very worried about the quality of the engine in the Tig. I have read lots of reports where a cheap part was used to take up slack in the timing chain tensioner and has a relatively high fail rate causing catastrophic engine failure. I hope mine lasts long enough to trade it in. Ive read this problem is fixed too - but what else has VW skimped on?
I would be interested in another Tiguan, but I figure you only get to drive 10 or so cars in your life - so I prefer to have some variety. I wish the diesel would hurry up an arrive already so I can make that choice.

I wanted the Tiguan as well, after my 08' VW Rabbit, but when I have seen the space behind the rear seat, it looked like my Rabbit's. Maybe slightly bigger, but not by much, so I had to move on and I'm glad that I did.

If I'm dead honest, I've worked on all manner of VWs and I'm not at all impressed.

I'll stick with the Japanese. Whether it's cameras, TVs or cars, they are the global masters of mass production.

Sony >> Samsong

I think I know what you are getting at. Yes, in any case, the Koreans follow Japanese manufacturing techniques and Hyundai/Kia products are extremely good, good enough that Sony and Panasonic are not averse to using Korean components. Toyota and Nissan build quite high quantities of cars in the U.K. and to Japanese standards in a Japanese designed factory. Good products but there is one slight difference and that is the way the Japanese production line worker thinks. That can't be replicated anywhere in the world other than Japan and Korea. As for product, the likes of Ford and GM and for that matter Germany can only dream about Japanese production quality.

If I'm dead honest, I've worked on all manner of VWs and I'm not at all impressed.

I'll stick with the Japanese. Whether it's cameras, TVs or cars, they are the global masters of mass production.

Seconded with emphasis!

I once asked a friend in Germany why my 7 Series BMW was such an expensive money waster compared to my no-problem Lexus and he replied that in Germany it is expected that you will build a relationship with your dealer and its service department no matter the brand. He was surprised I expected no problems from a crazy expensive flagship car. LOL

German cars... never again for this driver, but hey YMMV.

Seconded with emphasis!

I once asked a friend in Germany why my 7 Series BMW was such an expensive money waster compared to my no-problem Lexus and he replied that in Germany it is expected that you will build a relationship with your dealer and its service department no matter the brand. He was surprised I expected no problems from a crazy expensive flagship car. LOL

6 year / 72,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on the new Tig.

6 year / 72,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on the new Tig.

Hmm didn't realize there was still a (sort of) reason to consider a VW post dieselgate- but overall agree w/others on sticking with a Japanese brand generally being a good idea although my 128 was virtually trouble free for 6yr/60k.

I was interested in the Tiguan a few years ago, but they dropped the manual in 2014 and I ended up with the Mazda.

Seconded with emphasis!

I tend to agree, especially with VW's. My brother had GTI's and while the cars were absolutely a blast to drive, they were not reliable in any. VW's, especially those made in Mexico are not reliable. I have hear similar complaints about BMWs made in America.

Seconded with emphasis!

I have had enough of problem with my BMW E91 that made me go back to the Japanese manufacturer. The trouble started at as early as after 20000km when all four spark plugs and ignition coils were changed in the BMW mostly at my cost (600Euro/dollar) and again few years later same problem of misfire at 50000Km and even there the third cylinder spark plug, coil pack and injector were replaced at 700 Euro/dollar. Problem persisted and having got fed up with BMW dealer I did a DIY change of remaining three ignition coils at 75 euro total. All the previously replaced 5year old ignition coils were burnt out. Posted the photo at a BMW forum The car then ran fine without error codes but I had had enough of BMW unreliability. Got rid of it and got a mazda cx-5. Mazda is offering 10 years guarantee in Sweden and that swung the deal in its favour (instead of RAV4). Never again German cars.

I've noticed that VW have improved the warranty and are offering all sorts of incentives since dieslgate but that hideous calculating trick would have been the end of it for me even if they were good. My mate bought a top of the range Tiguan in 2016 but it has a fault they can't get rid of. If he tries to turn out from a junction it just dies on him. They sent new software and gave him a button to log occurrences. This felt like using a customer to finish developing the car to me. He eventually lost patience and he is getting a new model of Tiguan with another engine but it seems a long time coming.

Well quite the opposite with me, my BMW 2011 328xi has 144,000 absolutely trouble free miles on her. In fact I am just now having my rear brakes changed for the first time! Fronts lasted until 95,000 miles. My CX5 feels like it's 10 years old with only 60,000 miles on her and has cost me more in maintenance, nothing but oil changes on my 328 and I changed my own plugs. I was a Nissan guy for 20+ years and none of them made it past 110,000 miles without falling apart with expensive repairs so no more Nissans for me. Bad eggs come in all makes and models. I will say they it's funny how Audi is made by VW and they have a higher quality rating than Lexus!

I tend to agree, especially with VW's. My brother had GTI's and while the cars were absolutely a blast to drive, they were not reliable in any. VW's, especially those made in Mexico are not reliable. I have hear similar complaints about BMWs made in America.

We owned our 2012 VW Sportwagen TDI for 5 years and ~50k miles and the only issue I ever had with it was a bad wheel bearing. I replaced it myself and that was it. That lil 2 liter diesel motor and DSG had way more zoom zoom than our CS-5 has plus the fuel economy was a hell of a lot better too. Granted, the FE numbers (40 mpg average ~50 mpg highway) were inflated because of the cheating software.

Back