TPMS Sensor part number BDGF-37-140 question

SilverCX-5

2021.5 CX-5 GT Silver
My first post and question, hopefully someone can help me.

We will take delivery of a new 2021.5 CX-5 AWD GT (Canadian model) this Saturday Jan 29. I have also purchased winter tires from Costco, rims and TPMS sensors from a different Mazda dealership which has better prices. I was given TPMS sensor part number BDGF-37-140, can someone let me know if it is the correct part#? Some third party websites listed a different part# for my CX5.

My first post and question, hopefully someone can help me.

We will take delivery of a new 2021.5 CX-5 AWD GT (Canadian model) this Saturday Jan 29. I have also purchased winter tires from Costco, rims and TPMS sensors from a different Mazda dealership which has better prices. I was given TPMS sensor part number BDGF-37-140, can someone let me know if it is the correct part#? Some third party websites listed a different part# for my CX5.
BHA4-37-140A is the part number for OEM TPMS tire sensor on gen-2 CX-5. Not sure if BDGF-37-140 can be compatible to the CX-5. You can try to call several Mazda dealers and verify the correct TPMS sensor part number for your 2021.5 CX-5 GT.

Aftermarket or OEM TPMS Sensor

45FE9DF0-E0A7-47AA-A513-B5F5A85D37DD.jpeg

F626E81F-2D5B-4FD2-99D5-A613C8BF3838.jpeg

Upvote 0

@yrwei52

Thank you for your help. I picked up the parts just before closing time so I had no chance to call around. Will call other places this morning to verify.

Upvote 0

@yrwei52

Thank you for your help. I picked up the parts just before closing time so I had no chance to call around. Will call other places this morning to verify.
I personally would just use aftermarket Autel MX-Sensor TPMS programmable sensor mentioned in above link for much cheaper price. Just make sure the seller has programmed the sensor for your 2021.5 CX-5 before the shipment. Not sure if Costco can provide such aftermarket TPMS sensor during your tire installation. But that’d be an easier way to prepare your winter tires which require TPMS sensor.

Upvote 0
I personally would just use aftermarket Autel MX-Sensor TPMS programmable sensor mentioned in above link for much cheaper price. Just make sure the seller has programmed the sensor for your 2021.5 CX-5 before the shipment. Not sure if Costco can provide such aftermarket TPMS sensor during your tire installation. But that’d be an easier way to prepare your winter tires which require TPMS sensor.
Thank you for your suggestion. I was researching the same website you provided last night; it was a little confusing because part# BHA4-37-140A is for model year 2020 and before while BDGF-37-140 will not fit.

Costco has none and we are aiming to have snow tires installed this Saturday afternoon if everything is in place and I am not sure about after market sensor delivery time. Will do some digging around and update this thread when I find the correct part#.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestion. I was researching the same website you provided last night; it was a little confusing because part# BHA4-37-140A is for model year 2020 and before while BDGF-37-140 will not fit.

Costco has none and we are aiming to have snow tires installed this Saturday afternoon if everything is in place and I am not sure about after market sensor delivery time. Will do some digging around and update this thread when I find the correct part#.
Although the Mazda online website says BDGF-37-140 is for newer 2020 Mazda, but the detail doesn’t include CX-5 but other models.

Checking the compatibility on OEM parts for your new 2021.5 CX-5 is difficult from online Mazda dealer website as the information most likely hasn’t been updated. The parts department at Mazda dealers has Mazda own system, and they have all the latest info and can verify any part numbers for brand new Mazda vehicles. Be prepared to provide the ViN to the parts guy so that they can locate correct part number for the TPMS sensor.

Upvote 0
Called 2 other Mazda dealerships and both provided part# BDGF-37-140. Prices range from $68 - $72 CAD in Toronto GTA.
Based on pictures from eBay, looks like the difference between BHA4-37-140A and BDGF-37-140 is the valve stem material; the former is made of metal, the latter is made of rubber. You can tell by looking at the valve stem on your new CX-5 and figure it out what do you have from factory.

I kind of remember some Canadian CX-5 owners had complained the rust problem on stock TPMS sensors with metal valve stem. May be that’s why Mazda switched to TPMS sensors with rubber valve stem at least in Canada.

2A466E41-28D9-4B0D-9666-90D0B1E5C480.jpeg

70718EFF-2609-418B-B19E-272BBCEF9D73.jpeg

Upvote 0
@yrwei52

Thanks for your diligence in researching the issue on my behalf, a stranger.

Based on a Mazda3 forum postings, it appeared that BDGF-37-140 sensors will self-register after putting on some driving and does not required specific programming. Costco will install my tires so I hope that would be the case.

I will update this thread on the final results, hopefully, other people can use the information in the future.

Upvote 0
Based on pictures from eBay, looks like the difference between BHA4-37-140A and BDGF-37-140 is the valve stem material; the former is made of metal, the latter is made of rubber. You can tell by looking at the valve stem on your new CX-5 and figure it out what do you have from factory.

I kind of remember some Canadian CX-5 owners had complained the rust problem on stock TPMS sensors with metal valve stem. May be that’s why Mazda switched to TPMS sensors with rubber valve stem at least in Canada.

View attachment 306899

View attachment 306900

^^ This makes sense, although my four-year old CX-9's valve stems are metal and they show no signs of corrosion, despite being in a climate that warrants heavily salted roads.

@SilverCX-5, I think the sensors you have will work, but to be sure, I would contact the dealership with your VIN and ask them to confirm, as @yrwei52 suggested. Or, return them and get the Autel sensors instead. You can try getting the sensors from places like Canadian Tire, Napa Autoparts, Princess Auto, or a local "tuner" shop, if you have one.

Upvote 0
@yrwei52

Thanks for your diligence in researching the issue on my behalf, a stranger.

Based on a Mazda3 forum postings, it appeared that BDGF-37-140 sensors will self-register after putting on some driving and does not required specific programming. Costco will install my tires so I hope that would be the case.

I will update this thread on the final results, hopefully, other people can use the information in the future.
BHA4-37-140A TPMS sensors will do self-register after you drive the CX-5 for several miles too.

Use your VIN to verify the part number at the Mazda dealership you got the TPMS sensors.

If your valve stem doesn’t looks like this metal valve stem (BHA4-37-140), you should have BDGF-37-140 with rubber valve stem from factory.

A587EE74-C20B-40A9-AF90-1BB1CC4AA7FD.jpeg

Upvote 0
I will verify with the dealership I bought the CX-5 from on Saturday when we pick up the car.
Just FYI, the sensor I have on hand, it has the marking 'BDGF-37140 Made In Mexico'

BDGF-37-140.jpg

Upvote 0
(BHA4-37-140) Metal
(BDGF-37-140) rubber
Both work. I had a 2017 and now a 2021 where my winters had the metal stems and are working perfectly fine.

I believe the changeover happened for 2021 Model year.

As you are in Canada with snow, I'd say the rubber stems are better as the mounting nuts with the metal tend to fuse after a few years with all the salt.

Upvote 0
We picked up our CX-5 this morning, it is my daughter's first new car. I was able to confirm with the Parts department by VIN#, BDGF-37-140 is the correct part#. So I will go ahead with Costco installation next Wednesday.

The only strange thing was the Mazda app had an option 'Tire Pressure' but it was greyed out; even the sales rep did not know why. He promised to get back to us on Monday. I though with this MY, there should be a readout of tire pressures on the app. Anyway, the car had 47 km on odometer this morning, TPSM may activate with more driving.

Upvote 0
We picked up our CX-5 this morning, it is my daughter's first new car. I was able to confirm with the Parts department by VIN#, BDGF-37-140 is the correct part#. So I will go ahead with Costco installation next Wednesday.

The only strange thing was the Mazda app had an option 'Tire Pressure' but it was greyed out; even the sales rep did not know why. He promised to get back to us on Monday. I though with this MY, there should be a readout of tire pressures on the app. Anyway, the car had 47 km on odometer this morning, TPSM may activate with more driving.
Congrats! Are the valve stems from factory on your new CX-5 rubber or metal?

Not sure you can read the tire pressure directly on your 2021.5 CX-5 as Mazda has never implemented this feature on the CX-5, although such info is readily available with both types of TPMS sensors, metal or rubber.

Upvote 0
Congrats! Are the valve stems from factory on your new CX-5 rubber or metal?

Not sure you can read the tire pressure directly on your 2021.5 CX-5 as Mazda has never implemented this feature on the CX-5, although such info is readily available with both types of TPMS sensors, metal or rubber.
Good point! factory valve stems are rubber.

Upvote 0
Ok. Went with the BHA4-37-140 sensors that local dealer had quoted me for $150 a piece or $600 total.

Mazda-swag had them for $79 each or $ 320 total.

Bought set off internet eBay site for $40. Will see how they work.

Question as to several YouTube videos differ in whether sealing washers are on the inside or outside rim.

My old rims have the sealing washers on the inside while just the nut is tightened down on outside so assuming they were correctly installed ??
Based on the old rim install, unsure why some videos show the sealing washers going on outside with the nut.

However, looking at the new tpms sensors and the washers, it does look like the sealing washers should go on outside. Looks like there is an inner washer with a neck that inserts in rims valve stem hole and then two outer washers that get tightened down by the nut. Looks like the dealership that sold me the CX5 had the tpms installed wrong. Can someone verify the correct way?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok. Went with the BHA4-37-140 sensors that local dealer had quoted me for $150 a piece or $600 total.

Mazda-swag had them for $79 each or $ 320 total.

Bought set off internet eBay site for $40. Will see how they work.

Question as to several YouTube videos differ in whether sealing washers are on the inside or outside rim.

My old rims have the sealing washers on the inside while just the nut is tightened down on outside so assuming they were correctly installed ??
Based on the old rim install, unsure why some videos show the sealing washers going on outside with the nut.

However, looking at the new tpms sensors and the washers, it does look like the sealing washers should go on outside. Looks like there is an inner washer with a neck that inserts in rims valve stem hole and then two outer washers that get tightened down by the nut. Looks like the dealership that sold me the CX5 had the tpms installed wrong. Can someone verify the correct way?
I don't have our CX-5 today, the soonest I can post a picture is tomorrow. Hopefully other posters can do that before I do.

Pic attached, hope it helps.

Attachments

• mazdaIMG_0192.JPG
    mazdaIMG_0192.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
Back