TPM display

GL-1970

:
CX-7 GT, Copper Red
I have the GT-AWD and have no display for tire pressure monitor - even though the manual says it should show the icon when you switch to "ON".

Is that normal? How can I check that the car has this feature?

Windshield level, Fuel, Cruise, and possibly others - only show up when activated, but shouldn't TPM be displayed?

Are Canada models different somehow?

With a flashlight you can see each symbol, and where they should light up. The TPM symbol is in the left grouping near the top. It looks like in the manual - a U shaped tire with an ! inside. This symbol does not light up in my car when turned on

You should take it to the dealer. Something is wrong. It could be as simple as a bad bulb or there could be something wrong with the system. All CX-7's come with this.

are you sure your car has TPMS? cars that have them have the metal valve stems not the rubber ones

This part of the valve is rubber.

IMG_11812.jpg

Display of symbols.

IMG_11822.jpg

<<are you sure your car has TPMS? cars that have them have the metal valve stems not the rubber ones

Why would my car not have TPMS? Don't they all?

Just spoke with the manager, who called back after talking with the service manager. They say it IS installed but will only display if there is a problem. Curiously, on the Mazda.ca site there is no mention of TPMS at all, but there is on the Mazdausa site.

If I bleed off pressure at the gas station should it activate the sensor, or do I have to drive a while with a low wheel?

It is not really a "monitor", it's just a fancy idiot light.
A light comes on, which looks like a semi deflated tire with an ! mark in the center, when any one of your tire's pressure drops below 32psi.
It would be cool if it actually displayed the pressure in each tire!

wongpres said:
Canadian-spec does not have TPMS

Yes, I was beginning to suspect this. The dealer & service manager have their facts wrong here. I did install the spare and drive around the block to check if the car noticed a missing sensor.

Perhaps Canada will implement a similar law to the TREAD act in the USA which requires tire monitoring for certain vehicle types.

5280_CX-7 said:
A light comes on, which looks like a semi deflated tire with an ! mark in the center, when any one of your tire's pressure drops below 32psi.
It would be cool if it actually displayed the pressure in each tire!

I believe it has to drop by more than 25% before the light goes on. That's why you should still check your tire pressure regularly.

I'm pretty sure the Porsche system displays the actual tire pressure. I guess $80,000 buys a couple more toys.

the computer itself knows the tire pressure of each wheel... you can only see that when you hook up the scan tool at the dealer

5280_CX-7 said:

I still check my pressure, but I have thought of a still somewhat idiotic use for the light. Some of our roads are so bad and so rutted, I have pulled over, thinking I must have a flat. The idiot light will reassure me that no, idiot, it's not a flat, just a crummy road.

Last edited:
I am in the U.S. and when I start my vehicle, the yellow TPM dummy-light DOES illuminate.

It's actually gone-OFF once... back in February on a REALLY cold night... it had to be about 30-below with wind-chill... but I started my car and noticed it was illuminated. Thought I might have had an issue, but looked all-around and all were uniform in appearance. I assumed it was the cold, and sure-enough... 5-10 minutes of Higway driving back home and the light went out. I guess the cold air got cold-enough to condense to a pressure below the threshold of the TPM system.

Good to know.

Back