TP, DP, CB, Info please??

:
11 MS3 Sport
According to SU, the way our exhaust is setup, you can pretty much make it a turbo-back exhaust by replacing the Downpipe and Catback exhaust. I'm trying to figure out where the test pipe comes into play. The picture seems to imply that you can use the test pipe if you don't replace the downpipe.

Can anyone provide any info on this so I can understand better? I'm searching and just finding threads about the stuff, but not how the system works and why you'd want each part for what reason. Thanks in advance!

The test pipe replaces the second cat which is right past the downpipe. Its my understanding a TBE is usually a 3" DP, high flow cat or straight 3" pipe if you dont want a cat, followed by the 3" cat back exhaust.

Yeah that sorta contradicts what SU says because it says a DP will replace sections 1 and 2. Section 2 references to a test pipe.

(not saying you're wrong, i'm just speaking out loud).

So I'd have to buy all 3 pieces to have a complete exhaust system? If I went DP, stock cat, CB, then I wonder if i'd be changing in piping sizes at the stock cat.

The stock exhaust is 2.5", I believe some people are hooking a 3" DP to the stock exhaust. I think on SU the DP they refer to includes the section that is the second cat or test pipe. I'm not too familiar with the setups for different brands but that was just my understanding, I could be totally off the mark.

A full turbo back exhaust would consist of everything from the turbo back. This would include a down pipe, test pipe, and cat back exhaust. when su talks about only needing a down pipe and cat back the only way this would work out is if you purchased a Cp-e down pipe their down pipe replaces the second cat also. this means any cat back exhaust would just bolt straight up to it.

A full turbo back exhaust would consist of everything from the turbo back. This would include a down pipe, test pipe, and cat back exhaust. when su talks about only needing a down pipe and cat back the only way this would work out is if you purchased a Cp-e down pipe their down pipe replaces the second cat also. this means any cat back exhaust would just bolt straight up to it.
Ditto.....

Sometimes the test pipe is reference to a mid pipe replacement. The stock unit as mentioned is in 3 pieces. Downpipe with cat, mid pipe , and the catalytic back that runs all the way to the rear of the car. My Corksport was a 3 piece replacement that would allow you to swap in any or all bits and still have factory mounting locations. So if you just wanted to change the midpipe out you could and the same with the other bits. Turtleman sounds correct on this and the CP-e have good reviews.

The test pipe is also sometimes called the race pipe (RP). There are lots of different ideas about what works best. I tried to read all the threads and take into consideration my prior turbo experience with other brands (SAAB and Volvo), and came to this conclusion:

1. The real restriction is not with the stock exhaust, it is the downpipe (DP) and the related cats in the DP and the RP.

2. 2 and 1/2 inch exhaust will flow all our stock engine can produce with mods up to 300 wheel horsepower.

3. Replacing the DP RP with catless 3 inch pipes seemed to make sense, as that would remove the restrictions and allow for even greater increased flow ability later if I went with upgraded turbo, etc.

4. There is no real benefit to spend a lot of money on a cat-back replacement for the stock exhaust unless you just want a different sound and more exhaust sound volume.

So, I went with the mods in my signature. The extra reso was added last, along with the less obvious exhaust tip, in the interest of being stealthy, which it is.

I could be wrong, but I felt the money was better spent on addressing the restrictions from the turbo outlet through both cats, rather than in the remainder of the exhaust, which is two straight through resos and a straight through muffler. But the DP is a b**** to install, due to difficult access to the studs on the turbo. Best to have a shop do that for you.

jdbjkwd.jpg

/thread

Now draw the cp-e one!!! Is that Auto Cad or Solid Works you are drawing with. The compound radiuses are incredible. Thanks AAM, that is the best explanation of all for folks who do not get a chance to crawl under their car much.

the only downpipe which replaces the factory downpipe and midpipe is the CP-e. the corksport, turboXS, etc are shorty models which replace only the first cat. that is where the test pipe comes into play. the factory catback flows well enough that it can avoid replacement.

Now draw the cp-e one!!! Is that Auto Cad or Solid Works you are drawing with. The compound radiuses are incredible. Thanks AAM, that is the best explanation of all for folks who do not get a chance to crawl under their car much.

hey I do what I can, i am here to uhhh make the community a smarter place.

oh and btw its autocad

The factory cat back might be a very good option for performance and I imagine would sound a little gnarly with the higher flowing downpipes and or the test/race pipe bits. The Captain makes a good point as I believe the Cat back is the most expensive piece in the triad, and is an option when seeking highest performance. But it might be the most influential part that effects tone.

Last edited:
Back