Toyo A36 in snow

Lifting off throttle brings it back in.

This can be dangerous advice for correcting oversteer.

Lifting off the throttle shifts weight to the front of the car (more traction in front) and lightens the rear (less traction in the rear). Guess what that's gonna do in snow if you're already turning?

Tires have limited grip. 4 contact patches the size of your hand brake, turn, and accelerate. On lower friction surfaces, you do NOT want them multitasking, eg, braking while turning OR accelerating while turning.

Sadly, it's more a result of the DSC. Proper fishtail/oversteer recovery techniques are actually hampered by the DSC. It will induce understeer strongly until you release the throttle even with the wheel at a high steering angle. It's ridiculous tbh. Imagine crashing becasuse stability control forces understeer on you lol.
Is this what you noticed at the limit? Mine is new and I'm not familiar with the DSC programming on the 2nd gen CX-5s.

However, I'm familiar with DSC at the limit on RX-8, Mazdaspeed6 (sold), 3rd gen M6 (not taken to limit yet) and they are very well sorted out - quite neutral. In unfamiliar driving surface conditions, I feel more comfortable leaving it on. I'm a driving enthusiast who used to autocross for 3 seasons, but moved to virtual due to tire/brake consumption. I've lucked out with a couple 2nd and 3rd best times. Just laying it out there that I'm not terrible with vehicle control.

If what you say is true, I'd expect Mazda to induce understeer on the CX-5 for a good reason.

Back