Tow Hitch

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
Thinking about getting a small boat for fishing and wondering if anyone has a tow hitch on their cx9? I have a 2018 cx-9, would love to see pictures and if you paid or did the install yourself.

etrailer.com has great installation videos as well as all the pieces needed. The hardest part is figuring out how to pop the inside plastic panels loose (easy once it's figured out) to get to the connector for the lights. There are two aftermarket brands, Curt & Cequent (DrawTite, maybe other labels of Cequent Corp.) Both work fine. I did the job myself. The exhaust needs to be lowered to get the receiver into place, then reinstalled. There's a $20 tool that makes it easier to pop off the rubber exhaust hangers, or just fiddle with them until they're loose.
https://www.etrailer.com/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I had U Haul do the hitch on my 2019 in Feb this year. $210 including the hitch and installation. Bought the wiring harness (Amazon I think) and installed myself - quite easy using an online video. Took 30 min.

U Haul uses Cequent products...identical to DrawTite except the label. Always good products.

1594923947224.png

For those who went the U-Haul route, I think they used the Draw Tite tow hitch. Is that accurate, meaning that they didn’t cut into the bumper?

All the aftermarket hitches I have seen, sit below the bumper, so no cutting. OE is the only one that you need to notch the bumper for.

What are our cars only rated to tow 3500 lbs when other simliar models like Highlander are rated for 5000. Is it the frame of our cars? If I put a class 3 or 4 hitch on, am I OK towing more weight?

What are our cars only rated to tow 3500 lbs when other simliar models like Highlander are rated for 5000. Is it the frame of our cars? If I put a class 3 or 4 hitch on, am I OK towing more weight?
Bigger vehicle, bigger transmission, bigger engine = larger tow capacity.

Capture002.PNG

'

You could tow more, but when you kill your transmission or brakes, that is on you.

Agree with sm1ke...more towing capacity requires bigger, heavier, more expensive transmission and the rest of the drivetrain, brakes, engine cooling, frame, axles, bearings, other parts.

Also the suspension and the wheels/tires needs to be adequate to tow more. If you look at the cx-9 the maximum axle weight and maximum passenger + cargo weight limit is pretty limited.

but sometime the difference between a 1850 lbs towing capacity and a 3500 pound capacity is a transmission cooler. So go figure, it is quite hard to tell what the limiting factor for the cx-9 exactly is.

Im surprised only 1 person tows a boat. I'm looking to install a hitch so I can get a small trailer and like a 10-12ft john boat, along with battery, and small motor all of which should be way under the 3,500 max weight.

I tow a 15ft Boston Whaler with my 2019 Sig and I don't even notice it's there. The CX-9 tows it effortlessly. Total weight is probably 1600 to 1800 lbs.

"I'm looking to install a hitch so I can get a small trailer and like a 10-12ft john boat, along with battery, and small motor all of which should be way under the 3,500 max weight. "
Easy. The most difficult part will be backing it with the poor rear sight lines of the CX9. Think of some visible gizmos you can attach to the back corners of the boat or trailer to give you something to see. (These from HarborFreight are portable for hitch or the back of the trailer.)
1595441229409.png

Back