Total oil loss 2.3

asmo 03 mp5

:
2003.5 titanium MSP
looks like the oil filter housing cap had a hairline crack in it and it slowly let all my oil go, we were on the freeway when I noticed a burning smell the car than jerked and rpms drop to zero then back to 2-3k, cel comes on Im like wtf! pull off the freeway and the engine dies push it into packing lot and notice puddle forming under the car, oil.
check the oil dipstick its dry!
Towed car home and it hasent started since.
starter turns engine so its not siezed but no start.
check engine light is for cam sensor? p0340
tried new sensor today still no start.
My ???'s
is 2.3 interfence motor think the low oil pressure caused slipped chain/ bent valves.
can this be repaired w new chain, valves, tensioner etc.
What should i do.
out of warrenty 2004 6 with 75k
last changed oil myself.

Mazda north america sucks! the oil filter housing cover has a crack, known faulty part as mazda has released a new cap that is thicker plastic,and they wont cover repairs if you didnt change the oil at a dealer its not there problem.!!!!!!!!!
To all 6/3 owners the housing cover is a known problem, the dealer here has seen it many times, on most just leaking a little.
you need to get the updated cover or convert to the spin on type filter.
Its very unfortunate they are acting like this I have owned many mazdas over the years and use to work for them many years ago, have always loved mazdas, now I will never buy another mazda again.

That's BS. If Mazda knew about a faulty part that could cause your engine to completely lose oil then they should either volunteer to take care of it for you before it causes a problem and/or replace everything that breaks as a result of them not proactively fixing it.

Isn't that kind of stuff on the checklist for scheduled maintenance? If so, then I would say it's completely their fault.

Sorry about your bad luck. I can't believe the crap that Mazda NA pulls on it's customers. Brand loyalty is what keeps them going, lose that and they're f'd.

Sorry to hear about your situation. When did they release the thicker cap? I have a 2009, so it should be okay?

That's called spam.

OP, FWIW, yes Mazda knew the part was defective and assumed that you would find out about it if you took your car in to the dealer to get serviced. I'm not supporting Mazda here but I'm just saying that, in general, most manufacturers will say "oh well" if something happens and the car was serviced by some one else because, technically, they weren't responsible for it. I know that's messed up sounding but it's the truth.

Think of it this way... You sell a person an item, let's say....a cell phone. You say that there is a warranty on said cell phone for X number of years or Y number of calls or something of the like, providing they bring it in for upgrades, check-ups, etc. They say okay but don't bring it in or anything. You find out that there was a problem with the phone that causes it to lose all calling capabilities. You make that information public, the people who sell the same phone know it and tell owners who bring their phones in to get it serviced and also fix the problem. However, after the guy's warranty is up, he brings it in and says his phone stopped working and he can't make calls. You ask him if he regularly brings it in to get it serviced and he says no, he takes care of it himself. Technically, because you didn't have your hands on the phone to try and alleviate the problem and/or provide preventive maintenance on it, you're not liable for it.

I know that's pretty crappy but it's how manufacturers work, unfortunately.

That being said, I'm sorry that this happened to you! Hopefully this one event won't cause you to shy away from Mazda completely. Chances are that this issue has been solved.

Back