Torque tightening Exhaust Manifold

BigFish246

:
Mazda 5 Sport 2009
Anyone know the Torque tightening values for Exhaust Manifold nuts to engine?

2009 Mazda5

Thanks!

Torque for the manifold to head nuts is 32-47 lb/ft. Bracket is 14-19 lb/ft and outlet flange is 29-37 lb/ft.

Loosenut, thank you! The reason I asked was because the Chilton manual calls for 55 ft/lbs on the head nuts. Which I thought felt way too tight and might crack either the manifold or block. Those studs & nuts aren't that big for that kinda torque.

Last edited:
Anyone know the Torque tightening values for Exhaust Manifold nuts to engine?

2009 Mazda5

Thanks!

Mind if I ask why you need to know?

Someone else recently had their manifold fail and my wife just yesterday felt the engine buck and now it makes noise in that area whenever the throttle is lifted under load and the exhaust is a bit louder. The stupid part is over $550 at Tasca, and if this is suddenly a common problem, I will be discussing this with Mazda NA tomorrow.

I'm interested to see what MNA's response will be if you contact them. That's fairly low mileage for an exhaust failure but it is a 9 year old car.

I inherited this car from my mother. It had a blown engine from when she tried to drive through a flooded road. The engine sucked in water. So it wasn't due to wear and tear. I swapped motors from a salvage yard.

Welp I don't think its a bad manifold/downpipe. The flex pipe appears to be fully braided. I can shake it like a tree, but no noise. Had my wife start it while I was underneath & although I couldn't hear what I hear when driving, I think its the bottom end. I'll make a separate thread on this. Stay tuned.

Back