to Unchip or not Unchip

wmoesser

:
2003 silver MSP
So I know I'm going to open a can of worms, but I'm saving up to vid myself of the cars weak ECU to get the car to run like it was meant to. I know that many people have both Unchips and SSFC. I do like the idea of being able to detune the car in the winter months to not hit the fuel cut (SSFC), but I also like the idea of setting it and forgetting it like the Unchip (once it's been tuned).

So my question is I'm saving up and what unit will give me the best bang for the buck and less head aches in the end?

I think the thing to remember is that once you buy a unichip it does need to be tuned and not just once but just about every time you add another mod to the car. I currently have one and have been putting off having it tuned until I know i am done installing new or better parts on my spicy. also depending on the reputation of the performance shop that tunes your module, it could get pricey, I have been quoted $600 for dyno time and custom tune for my specific setup, so there are a lot of variable to think about. In the end I bought the unichip because of the fact of having it tuned and then forgeting about it! from what I have heard you will get the same outcome from both once tuning is completed, but the SSAFC is easily retunable. I would say if you are done modding your car and you just need it tuned then go with the unichip, but if you are going to be continually upgrading parts then go with the SSAFC.

you can tune the SSAFC and the SSFTC yourself. wideband o2 is mandatory, as is having a loose idea of how the unit works. FTC is hit or miss, and unless youre aiming for over 225whp, its not necessary.

Back