Tire upgrade options for 2022 CX-5 Signature

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I've been mulling over tire choices for some time to replace the OEM Toyo's. I've run Michelin's before but found them to wear out faster than I would like. Michelin CC2's have been recommended but they too apparently wear out more quickly than several other brands. In addition, since I already run separate winter tires the added "winter" traction benefit of the CC2's would be irrelevant to me. Continental LX25's were of interest to me as they have been for many others. BUT, I then did some research on Tire Rack and discovered that the new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's rated more highly in all the categories that mattered to me (Traction, Treadwear, Temperature, Quietness, Comfort), as well as having a slightly deeper tread, 12/32 vs 10/32 for the Michelins and Conti's, so I have bitten the bullet and they will be installed tomorrow. Details on their performance to follow in the coming weeks.....hopefully before the snow flies and my winters get installed.

Last edited:

GTEyes

2022 CX5 Signature - Machine Grey
:
NS, Canada
I've been mulling over tire choices for some time to replace the OEM Toyo's. I've run Michelin's before but found them to wear out faster than I would like. Michelin CC2's have been recommended but they too apparently wear out more quickly than several other brands. In addition, since I already run separate winter tires the added "winter" traction benefit of the CC2's would be irrelevant to me. Continental LX25's were of interest to me as they have been for many others. BUT, I then did some research on Tire Rack and discovered that the new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's rated more highly in all the categories that mattered to me (Traction, Treadwear, Temperature, Quietness, Comfort), as well as having a slightly deeper tread, 12/32 vs 10/32 for the Michelins and Conti's, so I have bitten the bullet and they will be installed tomorrow. Details on their performance to follow in the coming weeks.....hopefully before the snow flies and my winters get installed.
I have the Pirelli's installed and have been running them since the Spring. They seem to be a good tire. I am finding the road noise is creeping up on them now that I have 20k on them.

:
CX5 GT
yeah pretty much with every All Season tire I tried after a while the noise will come up. Around that mark 20.000 miles. I guess once it gets some use and the first layer of the thread is gone.
Same with the factory Toyo , its not that bad as new but after 15-16k miles it gets noisy, plus it wears very fast but thats another thing.
Havent tried pure summer tires yet. But they usually dont last more than 20k anyway :)

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
OK...first report on my new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's: They are quieter than the Toyo's but then the Toyo's were almost down to the wear bars. The biggest difference is that they are much more responsive to turning and more comfortable (less harshness). I take my first long trip in a couple of days so will report back after that. So far....I'm delighted with my choice. Of course the one day 25% off deal I got at COSTCO on Pirelli's helped to seal the deal. My COSTCO tire guy couldn't believe that I hadn't chosen the Michelin CC2's but after I explained my rationale he said that these Pirelli's were actually a really good choice, based on my needs.

2nd update.....After a road trip yesterday I can now confidently say that these Pirelli's are performing magnificently!! In addition to what I had already experienced I am sure the rolling resistance is lower than the OEM Toyo's as my fuel economy has improved. So far, I can't think of a single downside to these tires.

Last edited: