Tire rotation pattern?

DrWebster

:
2013 Mazda 2 Touring
I'm due for my first tire rotation, and I'll likely do it myself. I'm still using the OEM Yokohamas. Does anyone know what tire rotation pattern (either front-to-back or X-pattern) I should follow? I'm not seeing any directional markings on the tires to indicate that they're directional, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks!

dont believe they are directional either...looking at the tread pattern below they seem to be non directional I would hope....open up the manual at all?

P6303935.jpg

I looked in the manual but there is nothing specific in it...it just shows diagrams of the two patterns you could use (front-to-back or X). This makes sense, though, in that the 2 likely ships with different tires based on where it's sold, and so they'd have to change the manual for every country/region.

I would do the X first then fronts to back (then X again etc). We will see how tire cup prone this suspension is over time I guess.

The old x-pattern was for bias-ply tires, with the spare used in rotation.
Radials should run front-to-back. Never had a wear problem.

As for directional rubber, tires are marked on the sidewalls.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old post here...

My manual seems to indicate to do a forward cross rotation. I found this on page 9-30 (See attached picture).

My question is that I noticed my dealership does a backwards cross rotation... 1) Is this bad, and 2) in the future, whether I rotate my tires or the dealership does, should I insist on a forward cross rotation?

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20120418085005600.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20120418085005600.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 2,496
I seem to remember reading somewhere that rear cross is to be used on RWD vehicles, while forward cross pattern is for FWD.

However, I never saw any justification for that, and I don't really believe that it matters that much.

Thanks for the responses. @arcxer ... I believe you are correct re: RWD vs FWD.

In any event, hopefully this will provide clarification on the original post. Forgot to mention... I also remember calling Yokohama a few months ago and they confirmed the forward cross rotation.

My assumption is that it really wouldn't matter either. Maybe since they've been doing rear cross, I'll keep doing it that way. Consistency is probably my best option right now.

Back when I was starting out in life and never had any money, I realized that if I rotated tires perfectly I'd have to replace 4 at a time. If I didn't rotate perfectly, I'd replace two at a time. The latter was more affordable.

John

Back