Tint ticket question

tuOdekcalB

:
09 Mazdaspeed 3
I hate getting tickets because I feel it is very unclear on how much you have to pay. I just got a tint ticket yesterday and don't know how much it is. I live on Long Island.

1) Is it considered a equipment ticket which would be 90 bucks?
2) Also if I removed my tint, would I just take pictures of it and plead not guilty and the send the ticket in?
3) How would they know it is my car?
4) Could I just get a picture of my color car with no tints and send it in?

I hate getting tickets because I feel it is very unclear on how much you have to pay. I just got a tint ticket yesterday and don't know how much it is. I live on Long Island.

1) Is it considered a equipment ticket which would be 90 bucks?
2) Also if I removed my tint, would I just take pictures of it and plead not guilty and the send the ticket in?
3) How would they know it is my car?
4) Could I just get a picture of my color car with no tints and send it in?

From what I remeber if you remove the tint and go to the Police station they will throw the ticket away. Thats the way it was when I was in NY.

Unfortunately, in NY any tint, ANY TINT is illegal. If you have it removed (front windows only) you can try and plead not guilty. It's worth a shot.

It is so hard to find the prices, I am just gonna pay 90 dollars and they can change it if it is wrong, seems like a equipment violation.

Also is there a way to bring a law up for review to overturn it? Like I understand tints are dangerous at night, but I have no problem seeing out of them, and I feel not having tint on in sunny days are even more dangerous. I had to drive my bros car once and he has zero tints and on the highway with sunglasses that are very tinted I was getting blinded so bad and kept closing my eyes.

Last edited:
I live in Va and when i got an exhaust ticket i went to court with a receipt showing i had my stock muffler put back on and they threw out the ticket. I have received tint tickets as well and they counted as equipment, but i do realize your in NY so this may not help at all.

It is so hard to find the prices, I am just gonna pay 90 dollars and they can change it if it is wrong, seems like a equipment violation.

Also is there a way to bring a law up for review to overturn it? Like I understand tints are dangerous at night, but I have no problem seeing out of them, and I feel not having tint on in sunny days are even more dangerous. I had to drive my bros car once and he has zero tints and on the highway with sunglasses that are very tinted I was getting blinded so bad and kept closing my eyes.

What.

the problem with tint isnt the fact that you may not be able to see out. its about others, mainly law enforcements, availability to see in. maybe if you had a good set of sunglasses and not some fokleys you wouldnt have any trouble seeing while driving. anyone that "cant see while driving without tints" should not be driving.

the problem with tint isnt the fact that you may not be able to see out. its about others, mainly law enforcements, availability to see in. maybe if you had a good set of sunglasses and not some fokleys you wouldnt have any trouble seeing while driving. anyone that "cant see while driving without tints" should not be driving.

This^

And right now, NYS is in a bit of a deficit so they're going to be looking. The other day between Binghamton (NY/PA border) and roughly around Cortland I saw 7 cops. That's roughly a half hours worth of driving! 5 of which had people pulled over. They will NEVER change the law.

Here's your answer to NY Tint:

New York State's window tint statute is found in 375 (12-a) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law. Subsection 12-a

The 375 (12-a)(b)(2) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law requires that side windows, both front and back, cannot be covered by a window tint film that allows "light transmittance" of less than 70 percent. This means that some degree of aftermarket window tinting is permitted. As long as the window tint film allows 70 percent of visible light to pass through the film and the window glass, your windows do not violate the law.
If you choose to tint your windows, New York State does not ban any tint color; however, the tint cannot reflective light or appear metallic or mirrored. Additionally, if you bring your vehicle to a company who performs aftermarket tinting work, under Vehicle and Traffic Law 375 (12-a)(d), there must be a sticker affixed to the window, between the glass and the tinted film, identifying that the tint film is of a legal percentage for New York State.

Windshield and Rear Window
Under Vehicle and Traffic Law 375 (12-a)(b)(1) states that a vehicle's front windshield can only be tinted on the top 6 inches. Like the side windows, that window tint must allow for a "light transmittance" of 70 percent. Additionally, if the top 6 inches of the windshield are covered with a tinted film, the film cannot be reflective.

As for the rear window, 375 (12-a)(b)(4) allows for the rear window to be tinted to any darkness. However, if the rear window is tinted darker than the allowable 70 percent "light transmittance," the vehicle must have two side mirrors, allowing the driver to see the road and any traffic conditions behind him.

If, however, a vehicle only has one side mirror, 375 (12-a)(b)(4) states that the rear window can only be tinted as dark as the side windows of the vehicle, allowing for 70 percent of visible light to pass through the window glass and the tint film

***SO most cases are dismissed if you can provided either a receipt of tint removal or pic showing your car WITH license plate as proof from my personal experience****

I actually have 300 dollar oakleys and when the sun is coming in from the side not from the front where it often does in the morning the sunglasses are useless. And having morning sun coming in from the side does make it had to see.

Wow that sucks about NY and the whole 70% thing. IIRC Ohio is 50% and even then you will only get pulled over for it in certain municipalities that are sticklers for that type of thing or out to get money.

Ya WA is 25% in the front and I have 5%, I just roll my windows down when i get pulled over ;). When I lived in NY 13+ years ago I had a state trooper cut a big X in my tint on the front windows so he knew I would remove it, then he let me go :(

Rob

maybe you should have gotten the $10 foakleys cause seems like you got scammed.

I actually have 300 dollar oakleys and when the sun is coming in from the side not from the front where it often does in the morning the sunglasses are useless. And having morning sun coming in from the side does make it had to see.

My wife tinted the car dark all the way around. In California the front windows must be a lighter tint than the side and rear windows, as I reminded her. Well she said the window tinter told her to get a doctors' note about eye sensitivity. It is a signed note on her physicians' office letterhead. She also had her sunglasses made to match her prescription, (very slight eyesight problem). She has been pulled over and it works, no fix it ticket at all. BTW, her eyes are blue.
Just thought I'd throw that out there to ya, good luck!

Latest posts

Back