Tint - need advice with % and brands

hihoslva

Okay - finally going to go get my P5 tinted. Actually, my lady's Jeep got busted into last night - fuckers smashed the little window in the rear door. Amateur bastards couldn't even pull the stereo out - I can do it myself in like 5 seconds, and I'm no thief....

Anyway, I'm a little afraid that my ride might be next - so I'd like to keep prying eyes away, and I know that the tint acts a little like "safety glass", too, making it harder to just shatter it.

Enough history - sorry; my woman knows a tint guy thru the body shop she works for - he'll give us a very nice 2fers deal on our cars.

He says he uses "Madico" brand tint - did I get the name right? Is that stuff any good? He says it has a lifetime warranty against fading, "purpling", etc. Anyone ever use this brand?

Also - she doesn't want metallic (titanium), but I do. The guy will do whatever I want, and I'm not sure whether to go 35% or 20%. Whatever it is, I want to do the same % all around - not darker in the back. Doesn't 35% metallic "appear" darker from the outside, just because of the reflectiveness? Is 20% all around (including up front) too dark - as in not safe at night, etc.?

Also, my woman is thinking about going 5% limo in the back - I said she's nuts - that's REAL dark, and definitely a bad idea for night driving. She'll probably do 35% front regardless.

Okay - please let the opinions roll - I really need some advice.

BTW - I've seen the guy's work, and it is very good. He's only going to charge us about $350 for BOTH cars. Whaddaya think?

$350????

I don't know if tints are more expensive in NY than here in Miami, FL but $350 for 2 cars is unheard of. Average price around here for a top place is $130 a car, and that is very expensive. There are a lot of places that will do it for even less than $130. You should shop around before you do it.

I paid $120 for mine, but that was the "friend's" price. (One of my friends owns a car shop and asked his tint person to do my job at shop cost.) He charges more for other customers, but here in L.A., I think that's an average price. I got "medium" coverage all around - don't know what the percent is on that, but I'm REALLY happy with it, especially with the blue color of my car.

ive been given a rough quote for like $220 for all around. They said cuz my car has a lot of windows.
isnt it illegal to tint the front shield and front side windows? in California?

130$

Ya for tints here in Miami $130 is average i went to 3 places none quoted me over $120 eventually my friend did it for me for free. 20% all around.

I think that I have an idea that would solve your problem.

I recently had a silver 'fade' tint put on my car, looks great with a silver car.

The tint as I am told is from Jamaica and is 20%, the bottom 6 inches of the window is metallic silver that (heres the kicker) fades into normal black tint for the rest of the window.

Now the only problem that I have come across is that the silver part of the tint is darker, not sure of the percentage but for my short wife looking into the side view mirrors takes getting used to.

Now you will be badgered from every teenager on your block asking for a look at it for a while but the constant head turns and comments make it all worthwhile.

Now up here in Canada it cost me $300 plus crazy tax. But I was told that there is a cheaper version ($50 less) from the U.S. but the quality isn't the same.

Hope I helped.

In AZ, the law says 35% max for front windows, the back windows you can paint black if you want ;) . The windshield must be left alone, but you can have a 4" top strip.

I got my P5 quoted at $250 for 35/20 with the lifetime "no-bubble" warrantee (necessary in AZ). This is for top-of-the-line tint that reflects HEAT as well as light. It's a lot of money (which I didn't have at the time), but critical in this environment.

I have do something by Summer, though. In the meantime, the car cover suffices.

Amarek: You have pics of that tint?

I have 20% black tint on my windows and I love the look on my car. It makes it look much more aggressive. I do regret the fact that I went 20% because it is dark. Here in Maryland, the legal limit is 35%, and I didn't think 20 would be much of a difference. But it is. I drive around at night with my windows down because I am terrified that someone will pull me over. During the day it is not bad. I paid $150.00 for mine, and that included the front windsheild banner. My ex has 20% blue reflective tint and it amazes me he hasn't been pulled over. You can't see s*** in his car. Especially on a cloudy day, all you see it blue. It is your choice, but if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the 35%. I must say though, you can not see a thing in my car at night.

HIHO, what you need to do, IMO is FIRST see what the law allows in your area....no need to be putting a red flag on EITHER of your cars just begging the POPO or giving them ANY reason to pull you over.....find out how dark the law allows and use that as a guide for the darkest you should go.

TWO.....I would say that for $350 for both cars you are getting a fair deal, seeing as how you KNOW you are getting quality tint material...and especially since that price includes YOUR car being done with Metalic Tint....now...I wouldn't say you were getting a GREAT deal by knowing the guy....but a fair price....the same job done here in my area runs you $185 for regular tint and $200 for metalic tints.....so do the math.

Just to be sure in YOUR mind that you are getting a deal or not...call around to other tint shops and tell them EXACTLY what you want done....including the barnd of tint you want used and see what kind of quotes they give you....then compare.

Piece of Cake.
:D

bad boy - California doesn't allow tint on the front windows or windshield (except for the upper visor area.) But no one pays attention to this... LOL, my brother's a cop and saw my tint - said it was REALLY nice! Will have pics later tonight.

Dude, I live on LI too, and I've had 20% on every car I've had and never once had a problem with cops. In fact all my friends have it that dark and no problems.

It does take a little getting used to. I've never felt unsafe, but I'd say stick with 35% if you don't have great vision. I agree, I like having the same % all around too.

I would be careful with going to 5%, especially on the rear window. It is extremely dark. I actually considered doing my whole car at 5% but decided against it.

I have black tint on my car, not really a fan of mirrored. I think it looks awesome on my silver P5, especially at night. With 20% you can't really see inside the car at night, even if you press your face to the window.

LOL....I guess these guys don't realize the cost of living in the Tri-State NYC area, where a top notch tint job can go for $400. I think you are getting a pretty good deal if he is really good, uses quality tint, and will warranty his work if you're not happy. I'd say the average price at a good shop in our area is around $225 if not more so your doing pretty good. I got an awesome deal - $130, from a longtime friend who owes me bigtime, but this is the exception.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my tint... hope it helps. It was th first thing I did to my car, so none of the other stuff is in this picture.

Attachments

• full car copy.jpg
    full car copy.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 353
Syzygy

Unfortunately my father in-law is becoming quite late with returning my digital camcorder (going on 3 months now) but when it comes together I will be sure to let you know.

most of the good prices (under $200) seem to be coming from states where tint is kind of a necessity (AZ FL, TX), and I'm sure tons of places do it. I'm in PA and its actually kind of tough to find a decent place to get them done...I got prices between 225 and 300 for ONE car (an MP3 <less windows even>), so I would say that 350 for both is a decent deal. I got 32% all the way around, perfect at night, a little too light (for my taste :)) during the day.
I think 25-30% would be perfect.

Well i got my tint done by the detail manager for $140. He had bought the first yellow P5 in Fayetteville and i thought he was gonna put on the regular 35% all the way around since thats the leagal limit. He told me he was putting on the same tint that was on his. My driver side and passenger side windows have 20% on them and the rest of the windows have 5%!! I asked him if it was illegal to have it that dark on a wagon and he said no. This was back in September and i havent gotten a ticket yet. The cops do give me weird looks though. The name of the brand used is still unknown because now he works in at the Mazda dealer in Charlotte. In actuality, im glad its that dark..;) :D

where can I get a tint all around for less than $200?! ive been quoted $225-$250

adragonfly - cool! so you don't know how much percent that is? i cant tell im kinda clueless about that stuff

I have 13% all the way around. It is illegal but it gets damn hot in Florida so I needed something. I got it done for $115. Looks really good on the Midnight Blue, too. I will post a pic in the next day or two. Having trouble uploading the pic tonight.

Last edited:
the cost is really regional....some areas the shops are cheaper than others....

the important thing is to use a shop that is reputable and will stand behind their work...ask around...other people satisfaction is the best advertising.....

go to a shop and have them show you what the diffrent tints look like....I had mine down when it was still getting dark out early...and went and sat in the owners car just as the sun was down...and I could still see out quite well at night....and he had the darkest that was legeal for the rear and rear side windows....so that is what I went with..

my recommendation is to get as dark as is legal...and as dark as YOU are comfortable with seeing/looking though.

Back