Timing Chain?

zinger002

:
2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed6
Any information out there about recommended life of a chain? when should i get it adjusted and what not...

Been looking and just have not been able to come across any information. Perhaps i have been not using the correct search terms.

Any help or links will be greatly appreciated.

The timing chain has no maintenance requirements for long life, OTHER than regular oil changes. The chain also has no adjustments and should last "the life of the engine".

Timing chains are pretty much always "life of the engine" parts, and rarely are they the component that causes the end of the life of the engine. :) It is possible for something to happen to it, but the car should start running like crap if there is a timing chain issue, presuming it doesn't just fail outright. I've never known anyone to have a chain fail though, so we should be alright.

Anyone know if the 2.3 DISI engine is an interference engine or not? If it's not then a chain failure shouldn't cause any valve problems from piston strikes.

Oil pressure related probably... But guides will wear out. I could explain but im not gonna run into a diatribe about this same issue with my KA/sr on my 240

you have 2 different motors in your 240! AT THE SAME TIME?

lol jk, but in all honesty, im curious, which one?

you have 2 different motors in your 240! AT THE SAME TIME?

lol jk, but in all honesty, im curious, which one?

Dang Just saw this again lol.. Yea I had a KA and switched to an SR.. This is what happened I got my oil changed in California I did not check it and I drove back to texas. Well Over halfway Back I noticed some smoke and noise.. I checked the engine it had almost no oil in it. I had to add 4 quarts of oil to get it back to full.. The smoke stopped but the noise stayed. The timing chain had been stretched out due to LOW oilpressure because the tensioner works off oil pressure at least thats what they stated.. I believe our motors in the mazdaspeed 6 works similarly that the tensioner maybe works of oil pressure and if your oil goes low etc or maybe too full it can mess or stretch the chain...

EDIT: So instead of spending 1,500 plus for all new chain, guides, tensioner, install.. I spent about 6G on an SR swap with all the fixings.. Blitz FMIC, HKS SQV, HKS intake, Blitz Downpipe, t28Turbo, Apex n1 Dual exhaust, Nismo 4.60 gears, 02 housing upgrade with Wastegate dump, ACT clutch, Boost gauge, AFR Gauge, Suspension techniques swaybars, KYB agx adjustable struts, Eibach sportline springs, Apex Strut tower bar, etc, etc, etc..

Last edited:
Back