Timing belt slippage?

Just an FYI....

I remember asking here on the forum a few years ago why the idler pulley spring is used.

I did a timing belt on a Tracker and there was a tensioner spring but it was only there to provide proper tension during install then the tensioner pulley was bolted down.

On our car the tensioner pulley is free floating at all times and is tensioned by the spring. That seemed to me to be just asking for trouble.

Apparently... When we back off the throttle especially from WOT, the crankshaft slows down very fast but the camshafts have inertia and have a tendency to vibrate like mad.

That vibration would shred our T-belt in no time so the tensioner pulley needs to bounce around to absorb that shock.

Either way... I really don't get why Mazda would use a ten cent spring to do a thousand dollar job. I think that spring should be incorporated into the tensioner pulley assembly itself, not just hooked up like some trivial after thought...

Anyway... I'm sure you can feel confident that you have no engine damage and you can easily get it fixed... But for God's sake spent the two dollars and buy a new spring.
Good point. I have a feeling that is the issue

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Back