Throw out bearing?

Mordecai123

:
Mazda Protege5
Okay so I just got my protege5 not too long ago and I love the car. But yesterday I was getting off the interstate and my clutch pedal starts to shake really bad and I hear a really bad squealing noise coming from my engine bay. I get to my house and lift the hood and I get the all familiar smell of burnt clutch. Well I go to turn on my car to see if I can listen and look. My car barely sputters on, and I release the clutch and the car sounds perfect. I push it in and I get a high pitch squeal sound, more than half way down the RPMs drop super low and if I push it to the floor the whole car sputters and the squealing is super loud. I release, no noise and RPMs are back between 700 and 1100. If I even try to switch it into gear it shuts off (like I released the clutch in gear) When I shut my car off it'll switch gears and the clutch feels fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Textbook throwout/release bearing.. It's clutch time.

I agree. I recently did my clutch, and I found that my PILOT bearing was bad. I mean bad.

See what I mean? Crazy part is, my car drove smooth for the most part; no sputter or vibration. However, there was that squeak you talked about when you depressed the clutch, which is a tell tale sign of throwout bearing failure.

Last edited:
I agree. I recently did my clutch, and I found that my throwout bearing was bad. I mean bad.

See what I mean? Crazy part is, my car drove smooth for the most part; no sputter or vibration. However, there was that squeak you talked about when you depressed the clutch, which is a tell tale sign of throwout bearing failure.

That's the pilot bearing. The throwout/release bearing is the one that rides on the clutch fork and actuates the fingers on the pressure plate.

The only time the pilot bearing rotates is while shifting, or when stopped at light with the clutch in and the transmission in gear.

I'm still in the middle of taking everything apart. Never taken apart a transmission before, so its taking me a minute to figure it all out. Doesn't really help that I'm on a budget and currently don't have a car because of it. But I've got the mounts to go, and the whole clutch is being replaced. The pilot bearing and the release bearing are definitely being replaced. So next to that all I've got to worry about is putting everything back together correctly.

That's the pilot bearing. The throwout/release bearing is the one that rides on the clutch fork and actuates the fingers on the pressure plate.

The only time the pilot bearing rotates is while shifting, or when stopped at light with the clutch in and the transmission in gear.

Doh! Thanks for the correction! My throwout bearing still didn't look the best when I took it out. It would feel rough and would make a rubbing sound when I spun it by hand. Point is, the throwout bearing (not the pilot bearing) was most likely causing the noise similar to what the OP mentioned.

Mordecai123: I did the clutch because I took the whole tranny/long block out of the car. Definitely easier in terms of access. I think it's definitely doable while still keeping the engine in the bay though. I would have a buddy help you when you're dropping the tranny though. I estimate that the tranny weighs in at about 100-120lbs. That's what it felt like when I dead-lifted it.

Back