Thinking about moving to NC

We lived in High Point NC which is about 1 1/2 hours North of Charlotte.

We thought about moving to that area at one time though, (its beautiful), but the city is always so congested with traffic and you can never find a place to eat that isnt PACKED with people or tourists. I like the big city life, but I hated living in it sometimes. We moved recently to Florida and we love it here. Just need to sell the house and get our things from NC but we still miss it.

We picked a middle ground which had less traffic, a little slower pace and has three different cities nearby to pick jobs from. My son went to a GREAT school and we lived in a great area. But I'm pretty sure this will be wayyy too far for you if you're pretty set on Charlotte. Here's the pic of our house in High Point. Just to give you an idea of the difference in areas. Its $149k,1700 sq ft., 3 Bedroom, optional 4th that's an office/loft, 2.5 baths, 1 car gar., and its on 1/2 an acre on a cul-de-sac. There are other houses nearby that range from $170 to $220k, but there are also older houses that sell for about $130k. There's also a lake and golf course, sports complex with a jogging trail, major highways, farmer market, shopping, etc. So it depends on the area and what nearby cities, universities or highways are close by. Charlotte, Raleigh and Chapel Hill are the most expensive cities to live in because EVERYONE wants to live there. But try the outskirts, you may find something reasonable and quiet.

attachment.php

laracroft said:
We lived in High Point NC which is about 1 1/2 hours North of Charlotte.

We thought about moving to that area at one time though, (its beautiful), but the city is always so congested with traffic and you can never find a place to eat that isnt PACKED with people or tourists. I like the big city life, but I hated living in it sometimes. We moved recently to Florida and we love it here. Just need to sell the house and get our things from NC but we still miss it.

We picked a middle ground which had less traffic, a little slower pace and has three different cities nearby to pick jobs from. My son went to a GREAT school and we lived in a great area. But I'm pretty sure this will be wayyy too far for you if you're pretty set on Charlotte. Here's the pic of our house in High Point. Just to give you an idea of the difference in areas. Its $149k,1700 sq ft., 3 Bedroom, optional 4th that's an office/loft, 2.5 baths, 1 car gar., and its on 1/2 an acre on a cul-de-sac. There are other houses nearby that range from $170 to $220k, but there are also older houses that sell for about $130k. There's also a lake and golf course, sports complex with a jogging trail, major highways, farmer market, shopping, etc. So it depends on the area and what nearby cities, universities or highways are close by. Charlotte, Raleigh and Chapel Hill are the most expensive cities to live in because EVERYONE wants to live there. But try the outskirts, you may find something reasonable and quiet.

attachment.php
actually, we don't know yet, we will be going therre next week, just to look around and see what's going on. an ideal place for is suburbs, not too city or not too rural. we live in long island NY and it's getting too crowded here. it used to be quiet here, bbut i think it's getting too congested and very expensive.
1st priority is school district, i don't care how much the house, as long as my 2 kids will get the education they need.....lagunamiata told me that Waxhaw is a good area to live in, i saw the school report cards in the net and the school there performed well. and houses there looks nice too.
I'll be having couple of interviews next week, 1 is in charlotte area and the other one is in Winston/Salem.....tell me about the place, all i know is charlotte, based on my research. is it the same as charlotte?

Winston is a similar city as charlotte. High Point, where laracroft lived is 15 min from Winston. High point is also 15 min from greensboro, So it is a good location. I actually prefer that area to Charlotte.

y0sky said:
Winston is a similar city as charlotte. High Point, where laracroft lived is 15 min from Winston. High point is also 15 min from greensboro, So it is a good location. I actually prefer that area to Charlotte.
thanks man... i have a phone interview next week in that area

And just so you know, there are several Mazda members that live in and around the "Triad" area. So if you see anything that says "Triad", that's what Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point is called. So if you do some research, thats what you may want to look up.

I cant speak for ALL the school systems, but my son is in Elem. school and where we lived, the school was a top "A" rated elem. school.

that's good to know......i'm gonna start thinking of triad area already and be more flexible now. i have an phone interview tomorrow, their company is based in winston-salem area, i hope i get it

Good luck. Again, there are alot of good "Mazda-ers", in that area. They'll lend you a hand if you visit over there. At least you'd be getting to NC at a good time. The Spring and Fall are the best times of the year to move and see the scenery.

anybody wants to tell me about morganton and hickory area, in terms of stores, shopping area, people, schools, etc.
thanks

hi....i moved here from va beach and i live near the university area.. i bought my house cheap brand new for 165k 4 bedrooms and 2car garage, heres a pic good home if u dont want to go broke buying a house.

Attachments

• house 1.JPG
    house 1.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,167
motchai said:
anybody wants to tell me about morganton and hickory area, in terms of stores, shopping area, people, schools, etc.
thanks
I went to college in Hickory and then worked in the area for 6 more years. My in-laws live up there too.

Good area, MUCH smaller than Charlotte, High Point, Winston. But on the plus side of that, much cheaper to live. The econcomy of the area is in the toilet (or at least on the rim of the bowl) because of manufacturing jobs moving out of the country. Most furniture factories are closed, closing or struggling.

For shops, resturants, etc, you can find about anything up there. A lot the usuals are there - Hooters, Cracker Barrel, Outback, Olive Garden. One good Mexican place, we used to go there for lunch at least once a week. Great place called Windy City Grill is up there. We went 2 -3 times a week during college. Shopping is good, no real need to go to Charlotte (about an hour) unless you want something specific.

The Mazda dealer up there sucks. Salespeople are clueless, parts are at full retail, I never let them work on the Miata. There is a good parts shop, Foreign Parts Centre. The owner, Jack, is a good guy.

Housing will be less than the other areas. You can find bigger houses, probably saving 75k off Charlotte prices, but I can't say for sure.

lagunamiata said:
I went to college in Hickory and then worked in the area for 6 more years. My in-laws live up there too.

Good area, MUCH smaller than Charlotte, High Point, Winston. But on the plus side of that, much cheaper to live. The econcomy of the area is in the toilet (or at least on the rim of the bowl) because of manufacturing jobs moving out of the country. Most furniture factories are closed, closing or struggling.

Great place called Windy City Grill is up there. We went 2 -3 times a week during college. Shopping is good, no real need to go to Charlotte (about an hour) unless you want something specific.

The Mazda dealer up there sucks. Salespeople are clueless, parts are at full retail, I never let them work on the Miata. There is a good parts shop, Foreign Parts Centre. The owner, Jack, is a good guy.

Housing will be less than the other areas. You can find bigger houses, probably saving 75k off Charlotte prices, but I can't say for sure.

For shops, resturants, etc, you can find about anything up there. A lot the usuals are there - Hooters, Cracker Barrel, Outback, Olive Garden. One good Mexican place, we used to go there for lunch at least once a week.EL PASO, Yeah i ate there and it's surprising that such small town they have authentic mexican restaurant.

Thanks for the input, actually i was there last weekend for an interview in Grace Hospital, Morganton. I didn't see any new construction of houses in Hickory area, because i don't want to live in Morganton. We are really looking for a new house and good schools. Last Friday they gave me an offer and it wasn't what i was expecting what they will pay me. Now i'm having doubts about moving there because of the economy, that you said.

I was in Union county and found hundreds of new houses and developments there. good schools....I have an interview in July 9, in Rockingham, NC which is probably 45 min. away from Union county. The job in Rockingham would offer me more money for less responsibility too, that's why rockingham is weighing more now. You know anything about the Rockingham area???

Somebody told me about Iredell county too have good schools, is it true??

Where do you think, when i buy a house it would appreciate the quickest because of the progress of the town or county???
I'm so stressed out of thingking where are we going because i don't want to end up not happy where I am.

Thanks again Lagunamiata!!!!

Union County is the fastest growing county in NC. People are moving out of Char / Meck to Union to avoid taxes. I'd say for appreciation, Union Co is a good bet. In the time we've been here (5 years) 5 new developments have gone in between us and Charlotte.

No clue about Iredell. I have a friend that works for Iredell DSS and another that works for the community college. PM me and I'll put you in touch with them.

I think (just my opion) that Rockingham is like the armpit of NC. There's a NASCAR track and drag strip. That's about it. The Hwy 74 by-pass has probably killed Rockingham. From my house (in Waxhaw, south-eastern Union Co), Rockingham is about an hour drive. From Monroe its less, but not a fun drive... pretty boring.

is it good to live in Monroe?? in terms of having a family of 2 kids(6 & 1). they still have union county school district, right?

so, i have an interview in rockingham on june 9, i'll be arriving in june 8 @ charlotte airport. maybe i'll check out monroe. thanks for the union county school website - that was a good find.....big help for us. thanks again

Back