Thinking About A Miata

Dino1956

I was on here years ago. I still have my 2000 Protege DX 1.6 and its still running but I'm thinking about getting a Miata. And don't laugh or hate, I want a 2.0 Automatic with the hard top. Maybe a 2008-2009. Used car prices like everything else is threw the roof now but when prices get back to reasonable I will make my purchase. Any advice, stories or help is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Three words "Go for it"! I owned a 2008 AT with a ST and loved it. Bought it with 107K miles in 2015 but sadly it was totaled in 2020 with 181K miles due to flooding. If it weren't for that, I'd still have the car. I never had the AT serviced in my ownership and don't know if the original owner did but it worked flawlessly up until the day a flat bed picked it up in front of my house.

One thing to consider as a "maintenance" item would be the coolant reservoir tank. In the NC the cooling system is pressurized so if this tank should fail, it could ruin the engine. An OEM replacement tank goes for around $60 or you can opt for an aluminum one for $213. That would be your personal preference and if the cost is worth the extra bling. ;) Typically the tank fails at the neck area where the cap screws onto. Shine a light from the backside and check for any stress marks. If you should see them, plan on changing the tank. I only write this as some people buy the NC not knowing about the cooling system (I was one) so it is good information for an owner to have.

Wish you the best in your search! Is there a specific color or trim that you are looking for?

Three words "Go for it"! I owned a 2008 AT with a ST and loved it. Bought it with 107K miles in 2015 but sadly it was totaled in 2020 with 181K miles due to flooding. If it weren't for that, I'd still have the car. I never had the AT serviced in my ownership and don't know if the original owner did but it worked flawlessly up until the day a flat bed picked it up in front of my house.

One thing to consider as a "maintenance" item would be the coolant reservoir tank. In the NC the cooling system is pressurized so if this tank should fail, it could ruin the engine. An OEM replacement tank goes for around $60 or you can opt for an aluminum one for $213. That would be your personal preference and if the cost is worth the extra bling. ;) Typically the tank fails at the neck area where the cap screws onto. Shine a light from the backside and check for any stress marks. If you should see them, plan on changing the tank. I only write this as some people buy the NC not knowing about the cooling system (I was one) so it is good information for an owner to have.

Wish you the best in your search! Is there a specific color or trim that you are looking for?
Thanks for the advice and the heads up. I'm not really a car guy like the rest of you on here. So I will take it to my mechanic to get it looked at. Heard about the rust under wheel wells and trim. Red, Silver, White or black would be my preference. Just not Green like my Protege. ;-)

Thanks for the advice and the heads up. I'm not really a car guy like the rest of you on here. So I will take it to my mechanic to get it looked at. Heard about the rust under wheel wells and trim. Red, Silver, White or black would be my preference. Just not Green like my Protege. ;-)
Welcome and happy to help. Nothing wrong with taking it to a professional. I do for certain things as well. I'd rather pay someone to do it right once than pay someone more to fix my mistake(s). lol Again though, it is easy enough that you can check to see if the stress cracks are forming.

One way to avoid potential rust issues is to buy a car outside of the rust-belt area. I bought my NB in FL, my NC in AR and my ND in AR. For the NB and NC, I did a fly and drive but I had the ND transported by carrier to my house. If you opt for this route, you just have to do your due diligence. You can pay for PPI to be done, reach out to members (over on miata.net) in the local section to see if someone would check it out for you, etc.

For color you are in luck as they were all available those years. haha Not sure if you have a preference in body style but 2006 thru 2008 are referred to as NC1, 2009 thru 2012 are NC2 and 2013 thru 2015 are NC3. The main differences between NC1 and NC2 are the front/rear bumpers/lights and there are some subtle differences in the interior as well. The radios are just a tad different, the center console, door cards/cupholders, etc.

Welcome and happy to help. Nothing wrong with taking it to a professional. I do for certain things as well. I'd rather pay someone to do it right once than pay someone more to fix my mistake(s). lol Again though, it is easy enough that you can check to see if the stress cracks are forming.

One way to avoid potential rust issues is to buy a car outside of the rust-belt area. I bought my NB in FL, my NC in AR and my ND in AR. For the NB and NC, I did a fly and drive but I had the ND transported by carrier to my house. If you opt for this route, you just have to do your due diligence. You can pay for PPI to be done, reach out to members (over on miata.net) in the local section to see if someone would check it out for you, etc.

For color you are in luck as they were all available those years. haha Not sure if you have a preference in body style but 2006 thru 2008 are referred to as NC1, 2009 thru 2012 are NC2 and 2013 thru 2015 are NC3. The main differences between NC1 and NC2 are the front/rear bumpers/lights and there are some subtle differences in the interior as well. The radios are just a tad different, the center console, door cards/cupholders, etc.
Thank for the body style, years and models. I did wonder about that. I would like a hard top. I think that's only on the 2007 or later models, not sure. And thanks for the Welcome.

@Dino1956 Welcome back and thanks for posting here in our own Miata Forum...Great to see detailed advice being posted as well. Please do keep us updated if possible and feel free to start your own thread/log here as well as post updates in our long-running Miata thread...

Good luck with your search! 😁

I held on to my Protege' DX for a lot longer than I thought I would but Just yesterday I got a 2008 retractable hard top MX-5 Miata Grand Touring.Car was not kept clean but other than a little clear coat issues (Florida) the body looks good.

Congratulations!

I second the demand for pics! We are visual people dontchaknow.

Pics…

Miata Beach Side Top Up.jpegMiata Front Top Down.jpegMiata Side Angle Top Down.jpegMiata To Up Front 3.jpegMiata Top Up 1.jpeg

Back