Things we love about our CX-5's

Just came back from a nice little trip and yes I friggin love this car.

I have a touring FWD so I don't know about the swivel lights or AWD, but I agree with everything else . . . especially #s 4 and 5. I have never before owned an automatic and was really nervous to purchase one, but this tranny is anything but a slush box. I always swore I would never buy a 4 banger with an auto yet I absolutely love my CX-5. My friends and family were shocked that I bought an automatic, but I have no regrets whatsoever!

I also agree with #4 and #5. In city driving I don't even use the manual mode anymore since the Automatic is quite good in getting the car to sift through traffic/slower cars if needed. That and go Pads/Chargers!!

I also agree with #4 and #5. In city driving I don't even use the manual mode anymore since the Automatic is quite good in getting the car to sift through traffic/slower cars if needed. That and go Pads/Chargers!!

The automatic does adapt well to sporty driver. When I use manual mode (not that often) it's usually for engine braking in hills/mountains.

Lovin' the bottom-hinged accelerator pedal! Now that I have one, it seems like the "right" way to do it ;) This is such a "driver's car!"

I just passed 1,000 miles already, after only 2 weeks of ownership because I can't stop taking long, curvy routes home just for the fun of driving it ;)

It's funny about how everyone remarks about the AC, it's easily the coldest AC I have had in the last 20 years with the smallest engine. It's the only car I have ever had that I can't stand on the lowest setting. I've seen articles about the Skyactiv engine and transmission desgin, I want one about the AC, because it's awesome.

It's funny about how everyone remarks about the AC, it's easily the coldest AC I have had in the last 20 years with the smallest engine. It's the only car I have ever had that I can't stand on the lowest setting. I've seen articles about the Skyactiv engine and transmission desgin, I want one about the AC, because it's awesome.

It is excellent. My previous car was the VW Tiguan. The CX5 is much better at distributing the cold air. By that I mean, in the Tiguan you seemed to need a vent pointing directly at you so there was a direct 'breeze'. With the CX5 the cold air seems to permiate around the cabin - if that makes sense. I think it has better positioning of vents and the fan doesn't need to be as high.

Lovin' the bottom-hinged accelerator pedal! Now that I have one, it seems like the "right" way to do it ;) This is such a "driver's car!"

Gotta say I disagree with this. It makes heel-toe downshifting impossible for me, and that used to be one of my favorite things to practice on my previous car. Granted its not something I would do often, but I fear that I will lose this skill if this is the only manual car I drive for the next 5-6 years :(

Me to....5000 miles later and no defects or issues of any kind. Now if I could only find a remote start for this car??

I'm lovin' the compliments I keep getting about the car! So many people... coworkers, neighbors, total strangers... have commented on how pretty it is. Even people who have no idea it's a new car have felt compelled to ask what it is and comment on how much they like the look.

I'm surprised, I mean *I* certainly adore the car, but I kinda figured everyone else would see just another SUV and not pay it much attention. But it sure seems to be a bit of a celebrity :)

I agree Katmar... I returned to work after extended leave with my new car and have had constant questions and postive remarks about it, also a lot of looks and pointing from other cars.

What do I love abou my CX-5 (in no particular order):

- bi-xenon headlights that seem to peek around the corner.
- the discreet washer that washes the above headlights.
- heated seats...mmmmmmm
- sunroof... always wanted one, now have and love.
- i-stop. Silence at traffic lights!
- keyless entry, I just walk near the car and press a button, to lock I just walk away.
- leather seats, give it such a good look and feel.
- good deep cup holders.
- no 'dead area' yet for the keyless ignition.
- love running my i-river thru the centre console, it permanently lives there now.
- Bose 9 speakers (headbang)
- rain sensing wipers and auto headlights.

Did I say I love this car, the zippy engine, the low fuel consumption and the overall zoom-zoom.

Two small not so loves... the horn is pathetic, it's so well mannered! WTF! The vibration in the side mirror. First world problems

(bowdown)

First of all GAS mileage
2nd My smooth driving
3rd Blind Spot Monitoring system
4th Bi-Xenon headlights Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) with automatic headlamp leveling
5th 19" Alloy wheels
6th CD Player (MP3 capable) with Bose premium audio system including 9 speakers with Centerpoint and Audiopilot
7th best of all is I like how the real time Kmpl lets me know what impact everything I do has on the Kmpl. I have already started changing some of my habits

8th is the best backup Camera

Last edited:
Great in Hurricanes! drove over two bridges 60MPH gusts (from reports on the news) CX-5 stable as ever (alright)

I love the firm, positive feedback of the E-power assist steering. It is extremely similar to the feeling in my Speed6, which features R&P engine RPM sensing power assist. It is kinda weird how close they feel, considering they are vastly different systems. But, I really think Mazda nailed it, especially considering electronic assist is famously flat and loose feeling in lower end makes.
It is also very nimble and balanced, despite having a weight distribution of around 58/42 f/r.
Lastly, they have created an amazingly light weight vehicle. By comparison, my porky Speed6 weighs around 3600 lbs., which is several hundred pounds heavier than the CX-5 (FWD). I can't believe that. Even the AWD CX-5 weighs considerably less! That is a monumental achievment. Now, if the new 6 really weighs ~3,000 lbs (300 lbs less than current model), that is truly impressive.

Last edited:
I posted some of my likes in an earlier thread but I keep discovering new ones as the ownership continues. I LOVE this car!

I was picking up some lumber at the local home improvement store and I intended to get some 1x2's and 1x4's in 8 foot lengths so they would fit inside with the hatch closed (it was raining). As I carried them out to the parking lot I realized I had grabbed the 1x4's in 10 foot lengths! I thought I was going to have to go back inside and have them cut two feet off the ends. Imagine my surprise when they fit inside with the hatch closed!

I made sure the model I bought had the 40/20/40 seats (for snow skis and snowboards). I can take 3 others skiing with all the gear inside but the 40/20/40 feature is handy for much more.

I also love the cargo area. It fits my 5hp gasoline pressure washer and two extra long hoses without taking up even half of the cargo area (with the rear seatbacks in the "up" position)! I also like the 12V outlet that is back there. On trips I bring my 12V cooler chest for milk, cheese and beer and I never have to worry about getting ice (or having it melt in the bottom of the cooler).

I appreciate that the power windows can be closed without needing to continue to hold the switch in the "up" position. My 2010 Ford F-150 is not so nice. When I leave a ferry toll booth or card gate I need to continue to hold the switch on the Ford until the window closes. The Mazda window zips right up with just a click of the switch. It's the little things like this that make this car so easy to own.

I've been noticing how big the car is on the inside for how easily it parks in tiny spaces. This is really handy when parking spots are few and far between.

I LOVE the sound of the little 2.0 Liter 4 cylinder engine - it positively purrs and has plenty of power once one learns how to use it.

I really like how easy it is to get into and out of the CX-5, my Volvo S80 is too low and my F-150 4x4 is too high - the CX-5 is just right. I'm sure I'll appreciate this more and more as I get older. My elderly mother was loosing strength in her final days and I could see how much easier it was for her to get in and out when I took her shopping. That was priceless. She was amazed at the push button start (and I don't think I was able to convince her that it would not be easy for a thief to break in and drive it away).

I love the grippy rubber on the dashboard. When I am in an area with marginal cell phone reception I can put my rubber covered cell phone on top of the dash for clear reception and it sticks there like glue (even during emergency braking).

I'm not much into how a car looks as long as it gets me where I'm going with comfort, ease and efficiency. But I'm really enjoying noticing all the other motorists who appear captivated with my pearl white CX-5 at stop lights and intersections. Small children seem especially attracted to the looks as they cruise by in their parents big SUV in the adjacent lane with a look of "wow, that's a cool rig" on their little faces. Their eyes and expressions tell the story.

Fit, finish and quality. Maybe this comes from being built in Japan, the land where workers feel a real responsibility to their larger family, their employer. To let their employer down would disgrace their family. This is the first new car I've owned that, did not have at least one little item that required the dealers attention in the first 2000 miles of ownership. I sense this bodes well to the next 10 years.

Yes, I am a very happy camper with my new CX-5. This is my first Mazda and I can't imagine I would be so pleased had I opted for any of the competitors models. Thanks to all the early adopters on this forum that convinced me the Mazda was the right choice for me.

Great in Hurricanes! drove over two bridges 60MPH gusts (from reports on the news) CX-5 stable as ever (alright)
Have to agree with this one.. Had to run some errands today and felt quite confident in the car with this weather [hurricane Sandy touching down the east coast].
I have to agree and "like" all the features mentioned here already. I especially like that the car is light and the doors close easily; compact size that fits into small spaces. I think I got 2-3 feet of space back in the garage after my previous car!

Have to agree with this one.. Had to run some errands today and felt quite confident in the car with this weather [hurricane Sandy touching down the east coast].
I have to agree and "like" all the features mentioned here already. I especially like that the car is light and the doors close easily; compact size that fits into small spaces. I think I got 2-3 feet of space back in the garage after my previous car!

Just got 29.5mpg with 100% city driving.
Interior space is nice and roomy, i find it just right.
Love the remote key, auto UP window feature, and 3-click turn signal option in particular
still love the manual shifter
car still feels incredibly light-footed and easy to drive hard.

I agree with the most points mentioned above, however what I really like about CX-5 (comparing and coming from CX-7) is the "tech package". Finally you have decent screen, finally you have BMW-like parking sensors with graphics, all controls are where they belong and you don't have 10,000 idiotic buttons. Those are the things I have really missed in CX-7, definitely a huge leap forward for CX-5...

I definitely see CX-5 (I call it Japanese BMW (yippy) ) as a strong alternative for premium models like X3/Q5.

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
1. love the MPG's, especially coming from a 2000 Jeep Cherokee which felt like near the end of its life got 14 MPG lol
2. body styling is beautiful and yet aggressive
3. interior is very roomy and looks well built as opposed to "plastic-y"
4. for all the put downs about HP in the reviews, I'm happy with it, could it use more pep? sure but I'll take the added MPG's.
5. love the tech. (can't tell if I have a sport w/ extras or a touring lol)

this thread made me wish I had upgraded more.

I agree on the AC, I had some friends in the car the other day and when I turned on the AC one said, 'well, your AC certainly works'!

The heater is pretty good too. I was driving to work today with the outside temp @35 F and it was too hot with anything above 1 click on the heat side. It also starts blowing hot air a lot quicker than other cars I have had.

Back