The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

One thing I noticed now that I'm looking into bike parts - while buying and maintaining the vehicle is a lot cheaper, good aftermarket parts (read: GYTR) cost just as much as car parts. fffffuuuuu

Went through my Hot Wheels, Matchbox cars etc. Kennedy was in heaven. I have roughly 700 and she wanted to check them all out and play with them. She was really happy to find more Bobby Rahal cars and wanted me to build a track. I put painter's tape down on the carpet in a sort of oval shape and she thought it was the greatest thing ever.

How she came up with needing a track for the cars is a mystery but pretty cool.

IKEA sells those rugs that are laid out like cities and racetracks. Bet she would love that.

I saw 31k and was like DAFUQ?!!
Then I saw a bid.. 2 days to go and only 2300?!! Someone is going to have a fun cheap car, huh?!
Although I've always been weary about flooded vehicles.

Some how I've manged to get caught up at work and found myself bored and looking at car parts again.

That always brings up the internal debate... to continue saving up for a big crazy build or just get the Camaro back on the road in all it's rusty glory?

Find a happy medium and go with it. On one hand it makes no sense to spend money to get it running then turn around a year later and spend more money to take it off the road. On the other hand do you really want to spend 10 years saving money, buying parts, and putting in work before you can drive the car? Trust me, I'm an expert on this.

Some how I've manged to get caught up at work and found myself bored and looking at car parts again.

That always brings up the internal debate... to continue saving up for a big crazy build or just get the Camaro back on the road in all it's rusty glory?

get it running, drive it till it falls apart

I saw 31k and was like DAFUQ?!!
Then I saw a bid.. 2 days to go and only 2300?!! Someone is going to have a fun cheap car, huh?!
Although I've always been weary about flooded vehicles.

If it's a salt water flood, all bets are off. If it's fresh water, you'd have a better chance. It all depends on if you can get it cheap enough to be ahead of repairs, or if it can be a throwaway car for you.

If it's a salt water flood, all bets are off. If it's fresh water, you'd have a better chance. It all depends on if you can get it cheap enough to be ahead of repairs, or if it can be a throwaway car for you.

they extended the date, current bid is $0

A lot of skip barber's miatas (currently) were on a boat that sank, so to a certain point salt water is fine

You do realize she's 3 and doesn't know what the hell "scale" means?
She doesn't know what it means yet.
So talk about a deal! http://copart.com/c2/homeSearch.htm...e1s2&lotId=30446884&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

It runs too. Would make for a cheap track car for someone.
I love looking on Copart to pass the time. They had a bunch of Quadraporte's for less than 5k
Find a happy medium and go with it. On one hand it makes no sense to spend money to get it running then turn around a year later and spend more money to take it off the road. On the other hand do you really want to spend 10 years saving money, buying parts, and putting in work before you can drive the car? Trust me, I'm an expert on this.
I've been saving for what feels like forever. Unless I hit the lottery I don't think I'll have the funds to turn around in a year to buy new parts.
get it running, drive it till it falls apart
It's kinda already there...

I think it will be easier to asses once I start taking it a part (hopefully next summer).

Get it running and enjoy it before the self driving cars hit the roads, those things are going to be a pain in the ass
No kidding. I've got a few items I can't solve and it's killing the desire to work on the car. I have mixed feelings about self-driving cars.

Self driving cars scare me... A lot
The biggest thing that scares me is the security of the system. If so many people come to rely on it what happens when some deranged individual decides to hack in and make a big mess?

No s***, especially when they're actually including in the programming how the car decides who to kill in case of an accident. Yes, the occupants are a possibility... (clicky)
It's no different than a human making a similar decision. It's a moral conundrum either way. In some ways I'd think the computer would make a better decision (un-biased).

Finish it and meet me @ Road Atlanta for NASA HPDE!!!!
Marc has already threatened me to get it ready for next season.

Back