The Future of the CX-5 - Strategic?

If the CX-5 was only available in AWD, would you have bought it? (New, not used please)

• Yes

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Perhaps Mazda will realize their mistake and and offer FWD later on some CX-5 trims like most competitors. I can understand having only AWD on their new CX-50. I want AWD because I live in a nordic area but I can certainly understand those who don't want it or don't need it. Perhaps Mazda wants to simplify their manufacturing process/parts inventory?

Perhaps Mazda will realize their mistake and and offer FWD later on some CX-5 trims like most competitors. I can understand having only AWD on their new CX-50. I want AWD because I live in a nordic area but I can certainly understand those who don't want it or don't need it. Perhaps Mazda wants to simplify their manufacturing process/parts inventory?
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how their plan pans out. Judging by the very scientific poll here, they will lose about 17% of sales. :D

I think they continue to offer FWD in many other markets.

Its much easier to manage, designs, testing, supply chain and inventory with fewer versions. The savings from configuring FWD to Mazda are surely at least partially offset by the expense of managing both configurations (even if for just one market).

As an engineer, I deal with such tradeoffs in product development.

I'm not expressing an opinion. I'm stating facts...
- Mazda's website validates the fact that the FWD version is lighter, cheaper, and more fuel efficient.
- C&D's testing shows the FWD version is faster and has a shorter stopping distance

Those things may or may not be meaningful to you when picking a vehicle. But it certainly proves that the AWD version is not better "in every way", which was my only point.
Mmmm...sounds like you're backed into a corner, frankly.

And the answer is:

CX5 AWD is front wheel biased until detects a slip then converts some power to rear wheels.

However, they don't know the front/rear percentages or they are just keeping it a secret.

If you ask me... It is kind of a trend, but also driven by profit motives.

After this current seller's market subsides maybe there will be cost cutting and FWD might come back. I agree with clownshoes, FWD is lighter, cheaper, simpler, and works great most of the time.

But with the current chip shortage and record prices AWD adds some built in profit and they will probably sell all they can make.

I wanted AWD, but settled for FWD. In hindsight it wasn't that necessary. But it's nice to have for the once in every 5 years that I'd actually need it.

Back