The biggest things missing from 2014.5 CX-5 GT AWD tranny are...

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Tech
1. Mazda really needed to have paddle shifters instead of the autostick...

2. Mazda really needed to have a "sport" mode for the transmission...

3. Mazda really needed to have a "hill mode for the transmission (mine likes to try to be in 5th going up a big incline...)

I could live without 1 and 3, but there should have been a "sport" mode...hell my 2000 Tundra V8 allows me to turn off overdrive with spaces out the shifts!

3. Mazda really needed to have a "hill mode for the transmission (mine likes to try to be in 5th going up a big incline...)
What is "hill mode"? What gear would you like/expect it to be going up an incline?

Uh, maybe because it can be in 5th and make it up the hill just fine? Mine drops to 4th when it really needs to, but with cruise on it can manage dropping to 5th and going up significant hills just fine?

Personally, I would rather have a 6 speed manual as a choice with the AWD as opposed to a tarted-up automatic. Our need for AWD was greater than a manual transmission (we have other cars to satisfy that need), so we got stuck with the auto. Could be worse- Mazda could always go to a CVT like Subaru does (sad1)

Personally, I would rather have a 6 speed manual as a choice with the AWD as opposed to a tarted-up automatic. Our need for AWD was greater than a manual transmission (we have other cars to satisfy that need), so we got stuck with the auto. Could be worse- Mazda could always go to a CVT like Subaru does (sad1)

Agree that would be a nice option. Once the 3 gets the 2.5 in a manual, I think the CX-5 will follow.

Quite redundant to have "Sport" and "Hill" mode as you can select your own gears once given a paddle shifters or even using the manual mode from the shift gate... Hell, most of the time when you slap it into manual while cruising or passing at highway speeds, it will already pre-select a lower gear.

The Mazda3 has a "Sport" mode which does nothing but hold gears longer. I don't see Mazda adding this to the CX-5 as there is no need for the market it is in.

Last edited:
I drive one handed, learned on stick many years ago, so the auto-stick in the CX-5 is great. To add; not the tranny itself but the stick movement feels much nicer than the 2012 5 I had. Paddle shifters means both hands on the wheel and when gearing up/down in a turn would seem awkward no?

Agree that would be a nice option. Once the 3 gets the 2.5 in a manual, I think the CX-5 will follow.

That would be great, but I don't see it happening due to the fact that so few people by manuals anymore, especially with a low volume car like the CX-5. I read that less than 10% of all Foresters come with a stick, and having owned 2 of them, I can tell you from experience there was a lot of rowing going on during daily drives. A more powerful engine would help. Mazda has the parts already to make the next cult car- a CX-5 AWD with the Speed 3 engine and manual transmission. If you look at the strong prices used 1st gen. Forester XT's command, it's obvious people want something like that. The clamor for a WRX-powered Crosstrek is huge, but it's being ignored.
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

That would be great, but I don't see it happening due to the fact that so few people by manuals anymore, especially with a low volume car like the CX-5. I read that less than 10% of all Foresters come with a stick, and having owned 2 of them, I can tell you from experience there was a lot of rowing going on during daily drives. A more powerful engine would help. Mazda has the parts already to make the next cult car- a CX-5 AWD with the Speed 3 engine and manual transmission. If you look at the strong prices used 1st gen. Forester XT's command, it's obvious people want something like that. The clamor for a WRX-powered Crosstrek is huge, but it's being ignored.
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

The MZR DISI tech is ancient. Mazda is way beyond that at this point.

Yes, I wanted AWD and my wife can't drive manual transmission - I would have got one if it was an option.

Paddle shifters are awkward.
(iagree)
Our TDi has paddles which are operational in Drive, Sport and Manual. Manual works like the CX-5's, though the motions are opposite which could be a challenge. I find the paddles useful for nudging up or down a gear in routine driving when you see a need, like at the base of a hill or in anticipation of an overtaking opportunity. But surprisingly, when you're really driving on a tight, twisty road, it's hard to beat Sport Mode. Problem with paddles as a stand-alone, manual shifting option is you can't always keep your hands in the 3 & 9 position on the wheel, whereas the shift lever is always there. All that said, I like the CX-5's arrangement just fine.

The one issue the tranny has is that it does like to go into a higher gear in a turn. I guess a sport mode would stop that.

Back