Terrible Battery on FOB/Push button start issue?

Hey all. Having 4 problems with my 2014 CX5 Touring. Waited until now to post them all to see if any resolved themselves.

Anyway, this one is about the FOB/Push button start. It seems like whenever I change the battery in the FOB I may get a month out of it max. Half the time when I start the car I have to take the key out and place it right next to the push button to get the car to start. It's really quite annoying. I'm still able to unlock/lock the car (although not 100% reliably) from 40 yards away or so, but half the time, again, I have to take it out and put it right up to the button to start it. Anyone else experience this? It really irritates me. Is this just the normal life on these batteries?

Thanks a lot everyone.

2 years on, mine is fine and on the original battery. Sounds like your fob is malfunctioning and you should get a replacement.

I have not had to replace mine yet.

Where are you getting your battery replacements? Probably not related but I have purchased some really bad replacements off of eBay. If these are fresh Energizer replacements you definitely have a mechanical issue.

Are you keeping your keys next to any other devices or keys? Subjectively speaking I have heard of some FOBs staying energized next to some electronic devices that ends ups resulting in early battery depletion.

It wasn't a battery issue but I lived through a situation on my Infiniti where a cell phone corrupted programming on the FOB.

It appears to be both FOBs. I guess I'll replace the battery in both fobs and try one at a time and make sure of my results and then take it in.

My first fob battery died in the first year and the second by year two. Either Mazda has a stock pile of old batteries or the comfort access is a major fob battery drain.

I had to replace mine after about 18 months, as did a friend of mine. Both of us have the 2014 GT with the Tech package. I just figured it was due to the smart key stuff. I drove my last car for 10 years with the original batteries still in the fobs.

I'm still on the original key fob battery after 2 years and 5 months. I do think it's probably about due for replacement because twice now when the fob was left at the ambient winter temperature of 35-45 degrees F, I needed to push the start button with the fob to start the car. But after the fob warmed up it worked normally.

The battery in the fob I use daily lasted 19 months. A warning came up on my info screen stating to replace the battery.

I replaced the battery in one fob and it still does it. It's either a bad fob or something in the car is bad. I'll try the other fob starting tomorrow, but if that one doesn't work either, I think I'm still screwed because it's past my 36000 basic warranty and I'm assuming that sort of stuff doesn't count as powertrain.

Dangit.

I replaced the battery in one fob and it still does it. It's either a bad fob or something in the car is bad. I'll try the other fob starting tomorrow, but if that one doesn't work either, I think I'm still screwed because it's past my 36000 basic warranty and I'm assuming that sort of stuff doesn't count as powertrain.
How far past? If it's not too far, Mazda might "good will" the repair. Might be worth checking.

I had my car tell me there was a low battery starting around 19 months. Around a month later (month 20) I replaced both FOB batteries with new Energizer batteries and everything has been good for 6 months now. Sounds like you are buying crappy batteries if both are doing it.

Back