Tech Package vs No Tech Package

That's incorrect. I just bought a "base" model GT and it did not come with the Advance Keyless feature, no button on the door handles.

not sure if Canada is different than the U.S. because VK is right that in Canada, the GT base model has the advanced keyless feature...

not sure if Canada is different than the U.S. because VK is right that in Canada, the GT base model has the advanced keyless feature...

Our canadian trims and packages are slightly different. Like you can get the base MT model with convenience package (bluetooth + touchscreen) and in more than 3 colors... although I'm not sure it would be a short wait if you were to order one...

The online configurator seems to have changed though, like it will force you to select the tech package with the GT trim in some colors (like White) and you can't deselect it anymore like I could when I ordered mine...

http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=CX5

Last edited:
My incoming car does not have the Tech Package....I would have liked it for the lights and enhanced locking, but I likely won't miss it. Bought the TomTom kit for $449 to move to factory NAV...15 minute install..

I just bought the CX-5 NAV Unit off of ebay for $459. I read the installation instructions and it looks fairly simple. Can I do it myself? (I dont have a lot of car techie experience or exposure before). My dealer charges $124 for installation. Please advice.

I just bought the CX-5 NAV Unit off of ebay for $459. I read the installation instructions and it looks fairly simple. Can I do it myself? (I dont have a lot of car techie experience or exposure before). My dealer charges $124 for installation. Please advice.

If it's just the nav system (no other functions like USB, Bluetooth), you'd been better off buying a mounted GPS. Not liking the nav system compare to a mounted one my parents got or their car years ago. Sure, live traffic is ok, but it doesn't zoom in at complex intersections on highways (lots of multi-layer-multi-exit highway intersections in Texas)and I've took the wrong exit many times now. It feels also a bit slow on processing.

yeah it just snaps in in place of the cubby below and to the left of the steering wheel

yeah it just snaps in in place of the cubby below and to the left of the steering wheel

Thank you. The step I don't understand is that "Grasp the pocket assy from the back side of the lower panel and press it out to the vehicle rear". I opened the hood and checked to see where the pocket assy is. I know I see the front side of the Pocket assy right below the steering. But where is it's back side? I couldnt figure it out.

Where should I look for the pocket assy from the rear side of the lower panel? Am i doing the right thing by opening the hood and looking for it? (I was just trying to see the Pocket assy. I will disconnect the battery before I really start the procedure). Please help. Thanks

If it's just the nav system (no other functions like USB, Bluetooth), you'd been better off buying a mounted GPS. Not liking the nav system compare to a mounted one my parents got or their car years ago. Sure, live traffic is ok, but it doesn't zoom in at complex intersections on highways (lots of multi-layer-multi-exit highway intersections in Texas)and I've took the wrong exit many times now. It feels also a bit slow on processing.

I understand what you saying. However, owning an in-dash GPS has long been a desire for me but never wanted to plunk down $1500. Now, its within reach at 1/3 of the price, so I wanted to try : -)

My incoming car does not have the Tech Package....I would have liked it for the lights and enhanced locking, but I likely won't miss it. Bought the TomTom kit for $449 to move to factory NAV...15 minute install..

Hey Modshack, how did u remove the pocket assy from the lower panel before installing the Nav? Just pull it out from the front (or) u reached out to the rear of the lower panel and push it? Also, did u disconnect the battery before doing? Thanks.

Back