TCS turn off?

As far as I can tell all trims going back quite a ways have a group of buttons on the lower left dash right below the far left climate control vent. Upper trims have more buttons for more functions you can turn off; lower trims have some buttons dummied out for functions not included in the vehicle. All trims have a TCS Off button there.

In my 2014 Sienna, the TCF Off button (in about the same place on the dash) deactivates both traction control and stability control. In looking into this whole TCF Off business for gas savings in another recent thread, I believe I ran across a statement somewhere that Mazda TCF Off does not deactivate stability control though I wouldn't take that to the bank without more research.

The button on my CX is located on the lower dash to the left of the steering column.

EC87AA5E-D399-4E72-A557-0815B177EC4F.jpeg

No TCS button on my 2021 GTR Turbo. Possibly the AWD version doesn't require it. but, I'm not sure I understand that reason.

No TCS button on my 2021 GTR Turbo. Possibly the AWD version doesn't require it. but, I'm not sure I understand that reason.
I'm thinking you might have an Off Road Traction Assist button instead? The button icon is a car on a bumpy road incline. I recall now discussions in earlier threads that there is reason to believe that ORTA does the same thing as TCS. I can't recall which years/trims might have this substitution. You should have one or the other. It is pretty much standard equipment in the industry to be able to turn off TCS by whatever name it happens to be called.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible Mazda has removed the “TCS OFF” button on 2021 GT-R? There’re many car manufactures do not offer the capability of disabling the TCS.

I'm thinking you might have an Off Road Traction Assist button instead? The button icon is a car on a bumpy road incline. I recall now discussions in earlier threads that there is reason to believe that ORTA does the same thing as TCS. I can't recall which years/trims might have this substitution. You should have one or the other. It is pretty much standard equipment in the industry to be able to turn off TCS by whatever name it happens to be called.
According to 2021 CX-5 Owner’s Manual, the function of “Off-Road Traction Assist” button is different from “TCS OFF” button. The former enables the traction assist but the latter disables the traction control.

65CBBAB5-54F1-4E31-8071-0EB56171AE58.jpeg

7388ACD4-B73C-47A7-B9FA-A2BFAB7AE2F1.jpeg

73BE382D-BBC4-4CEF-85EC-4E94D94E4C72.jpeg

822CA794-1EB6-4915-A815-1C2F92BBBA93.jpeg

Last edited:
And:
CAUTION

The Off-Road Traction Assist is a function to assist in freeing tires that are stuck. When it is not necessary to use this function, avoid driving the vehicle continuously with the Off-Road Traction Assist on.

But:

NOTE

• If the TCS is off when the engine is turned off, it automatically activates when the ignition is switched ON.

According to 2021 CX-5 Owner’s Manual, the function of “Off-Road Traction Assist” button is diffrtent from “TCS OFF” button. The former enables the traction assist but the latter disables the traction control.
That's per the manual and on it's face make all the sense in the world. However, Mazda has provided a double dose of cognitive dissonance. First, there's the following link that describes something different, TCS Off as your secret off-road mode:

Now, that's undated (I hate that) and may predate the introduction of the actual Off Road Traction Assist in the upper trims which may in fact operate as the manual describes.

However there is something that doesn't jibe with that conclusion. The OPs claim that his 2021 Sig does not have a TCS Off button is borne out in the following video. Freeze the video at 2:15 and check out the dash controls. The Off Road button is there but TCS Off is dummied out. Unless it is hidden somewhere that the manual does not show and the OP has not found, you're left to conclude these upper trims don't have TCF Off.

How would you account for that when TCF Off is found in entry level vehicles, nearly de facto standard equipment in the industry. Can you even buy a car in the US without it? How do you account for it's absence in a upper trim CX-5 but present in lower rims?

I'd say the book is still open on whether the Off Road is in fact a TCF Off equivalent or near-equivalent.

I'd say the book is still open on whether the Off Road is in fact a TCF Off equivalent or near-equivalent.
The key difference between 2 buttons is you can press the “TCS OFF” button and drive forever without any ill effects (may have better effects from recent find), but you can’t press the “Off-Road Traction Assist” button and leave it on for long, as the owner’s manual stated.

The key difference between 2 buttons is you can press the “TCS OFF” button and drive forever without any ill effects (may have better effects from recent find), but you can’t press the “Off-Road Traction Assist” button and leave it on for long, as the owner’s manual stated.
I understand that's what the manual says. The question is, how do you account for a current high trim model that doesn't have TCS OFF when nearly every car sold has that, including lower trim CX-5s? TCF OFF has utility situationally even if you don't see gas savings. How do you account for an upper trim being de-contented in this way?

Something does not add up.

I understand that's what the manual says. The question is, how do you account for a current high trim model that doesn't have TCS OFF when nearly every car sold has that, including lower trim CX-5s? TCF OFF has utility situationally even if you don't see gas savings. How do you account for an upper trim being de-contented in this way?

I do remember there’re vehicles don’t offer the capability of disabling the TCS. Only Mazda knows why they decided to eliminate the “TCS OFF” button on higher trims (needs to be verified). Yes these 2 functions are intervening each other along with ABS and DSC, but these 2 buttons are not the same as I described previously. In fact, they offer opposite functionality.

I have the "TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM" Icon.
??? Are you talking about this indicator light in your instrument cluster?

19FF14B2-8E3A-48A6-BFE0-45C53C6B971E.jpeg

And you don’t have “TCS OFF” button:
9ADEF784-7523-4CB8-B82D-1DDB2CD55CDD.jpeg

but have “Off-Road Traction Assist” button instead on your 2021 CX-5 GT-R?
28D46A26-67EA-455E-B597-D403F1F6B929.jpeg

The question is, how do you account for a current high trim model that doesn't have TCS OFF when nearly every car sold has that, including lower trim CX-5s? TCF OFF has utility situationally even if you don't see gas savings. How do you account for an upper trim being de-contented in this way?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the discussion (always a possibility), my 2020 Signature has both. Pressing each produces the following.

Oh, and as many times as I read it I still can't figure out which does what? - At my own risk I want to accelerate and corner like a mad man in the rain. Sadly no snow in PHX tp play in.

PXL_20211119_013841214.jpg
PXL_20211119_014641709.jpg

Last edited:
Unless I'm misunderstanding the discussion (always a possibility), my 2020 Signature has both. Pressing each produces the following.

Oh, and as many times as I read it I still can't figure out which does what? - At my own risk I want to accelerate and corner like a mad man in the rain. Sadly no snow in PHX tp play in.

View attachment 304828View attachment 304829
The switch showing a car on a bumpy incline is for switching on Off Road Assist. The one with a car veering out of it's lane is for turning off lane keeping / lane departure. The dash indicates off road is on, lane stuff is off. I can't tell what the lower left switch has printed on it. Is that a silicone button stuck on there?

Oh, I known what the switches do, I just can't wrap my head around how the Off Road Assist is different than the Stability control ( the switch does more than just turn off lane assist)

That silicone button is so I can easily locate the camera switch view button by feel

I know this is mostly unrelated to discussion here but in past as a test from remembering an old post on this forum did the long press of the TCS switch to completely turn off even DSC. I was out in an open area off-road and just playing some. Anyway.... installed Pedal Commander in other recent thread and wanted to do a vehicle scan with OBD Link. I noticed that there was this C0089-64 code. I had to look up but my doing this a while back left a current code. I had to do a code erase to make it go away.

Mazda CX-5 Service & Repair Manual - Tcs Off Switch, Tcs Off Indicator Light - General Information

Back