Taking 2017 CX-9 to Honda dealer to mount, balance and install tires

Hi all.

I bought my 2017 used with the 18s on it. I put winters on those 18s. Over the past few months I got used 20" OEM wheels from a 2021 without the TPMS and bought used all season tires (255/50/20) with good tread on them. I booked an appointment at the local Mazda dealer a long time ago to do the mount, balance and install for this Thursday but then something came up so I had to cancel for that time. That Mazda dealer and the next two are now only booking for tire changeovers two to three weeks away. Same with a few garages I contacted. I checked a few dealers and Honda close by has time this Thursday in the afternoon, when I'm available, so I booked.

Honda said:
I was reviewing the upcoming appointments and see that you’d like to bring in your 2017 Mazda CX-9. I see that you are looking to install wheels and tires from a 2021 CX-9 onto your 2017. Please bear in mind we do not have the capabilities to reset the TPMS light should it need to be plugged into a Mazda system.

If the vehicle needs to be taken to a 3rd party to have the TPMS reset, the price starts at $130.

Please let me know if you’d still like to bring it in.

Now, I know that I don't need the TPMS sensors from the 2021 wheels I bought because the 2017 model does TPMS in a different way. I do have that TPMS button on the dash that you press and hold to reset. Had to do that a few days ago when the light came on. I checked the pressures on my winters and they were fine so I reset it by pressing and holding the button.

So, what he's talking about is not necessary, correct? I'm not missing anything here am I? It's as simple as me resetting it with the button as usual, yeah?

Back