Sylvania Silverstar or the Osram Silverstar?

Sylvania Silverstar or the Osram Silverstar?

• Osram Silverstar

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Sylvania Silverstar

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Elderain

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed #2
What is the difference between the Sylvania Silverstar and the Osram Silverstar?

Osram Sylvania is one and the same company, within the US they use both Osram and Sylvania, outside the US its Osram. The Osram Silverstar is a clear bulb with Xenon gas boost to increase brightness up to 50% color is similar to standard halogen though it is slightly whiter. The Sylvania Silverstar is the same bulb but with an amethyst blue coating with 30% more light than standard halogen and 4000K light color which is comparable to Xenon/High Intensity Discharge Light Systems as seen on high end cars from Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Porsche to name a few.

Whos got either of these on there MSP, and do you like them? Do you see a difference over stock? Even if you dont have them, which would you pick?

Also... Osram's are $18.00 ea and the Sylvania's are $22.50 ea.

I believe Osram doesnt have a blue filter on their light and has a a better look than the Silvanias(which I have). If I knew about the Osrams before, I would have bought them instead. But the Silvanias are just really bright white light. Either of the two are nice, but Osrams are more worth the money I think.

Your correct about the blue filter, the osram's dont have one, while the sylvania's do. I was leaning twords the osrams, and they just happy to be cheaper too :) just waiting to see what anyone else says.

btw Familia323 nice avatar :p

Last edited:
I had Osram on my Protege5 before I traded it in and I am getting a set of Osram for my MSP. Brighter is better!

******** said:
Your correct about the blue filter, the osram's dont have one, while the sylvania's do.

Interesting, I have Sylvanias and I like them but I wish they were more white. I'll have to try and find some Osrams.

quoted from http://www.hidforum.com/ayh/lumen.php ...

What is the brightest halogen bulb?
For the 55W marked segment, sorted in order of brightness:
+50%: Philips Vision Plus (achieves its extra performance by increased luminance, not lumens. See this article: http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/press/automotive/resultsVision.shtml
+30%: Philips Premium, Osram Silverstar (European marked only - see note below)
+20%: Osram/Sylvania Xtra Vision, Osram/Sylvania Silverstar (North american market only - see note below)
+0%: Philips Bluevison, Osram/Sylvania Cool Blue, Osram/Sylvania Halogen Plus, and OEM bulbs like GE.
-10%: PIAA Superwite

Silverstar: Do not confuse the European (clear glass) Silverstar with the North american (slightly blue tinted) Silverstar. The blue tint steals light!

lol at least rename my files :D LOL anyhow I ordered the osrams about 3hrs after i posetd the thread. I leave for FL tommorow for a week but when I get back I'll Install them and let you guys all know the verdict and some pics if theres any diff.

I have the Phillips Vision Plus H4's and BlueVision H3's. They're not THAT incredibly brigher, as I couldn't tell much of a difference and I had to tell my girlfriend (who always rides with me) that I switched them out.

The BlueVision's do not look blue at all in the foglights. I'm quite disappointed.

damn, I saw the silverstars at walmart for $24 for a pair... I didnt see H4's, only 9003's.. I was unaware they were the same

I got the Osram bulbs. They dont' have the blue filter on them and IMO it looks brighter

Damn them bitches. I ordered the Osram Silverstar bulbs and they sent me Phillips VisionPlus+ bulbs because the Osrams were out of stock. I did head that these were better, thats also what the sales rep said, but oh well. When it gets dark out I'll tell ya a verdict. I should have taken before and after pictures, but I forgot, so you will just get after pics :)

I ordered my Osram Silverstars from Powerbulbs.com and I could have sworn that they had a slight blue tint but I will recheck. Powerbulbs.com is based in the UK so I would figure that I have european spec bulbs. the packaging as EEC Legal on it. IMO these bulbs are brighter than PIAAs that I usually use. I was amazed at the brightness.

piaa's suck imo, there always ranked way under all the other bulbs. I just got back from a drive in the rain, at like 9pm so its pretty dark too. I noticed right away a color change in the light from that yellowish to a bright white, and It seems that I can see a bit further. They seem like decent bulbs so I cant complain.

Back