Sylvania Silverstar or the Osram Silverstar?

Sylvania Silverstar or the Osram Silverstar?

• Osram Silverstar

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Sylvania Silverstar

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
Do they still have the "bright" feature? I have heard that some of these bulbs cant switch between dim and bright. any truth to this? What about the fog lights? H4's for the heads, so what is the # for the fogs? I think it would look a little silly with white heads and yellow fogs. If I am going to one, I might as well do both!

Laser5 said:
I ordered my Osram Silverstars from Powerbulbs.com and I could have sworn that they had a slight blue tint but I will recheck.

That because the Osram's DONT have the blue filter, which would leave the blue light unfiltered. So you arent crazy.

DaKidd:
Actually yellow fogs are the best lights to have, because they penetrate through fog and precipitation better than white lights... So in my opinion if you were going for functionality having white headlights and yellow fogs would be pretty bad ass.. not to mention thats what I plan on doing.. :)

Hey - the Osram Xtra Vision (at +20% output over "stock") are available at WallyMart for ~ $18/pair. They're labelled as Sylvanias but read the bulb and it says Osram BiLux. It's a 55/60. I bought a pair and will install later this week (car is at dealer for hesitation, clunk, faceplate, alarm/parking lights issues... oh, and an oil change...

From previous experience, I won't upgrade to higher wattage without doing relays, and I'm not hacking at a wiring harness that's still under warranty.

Familia323 said:
That because the Osram's DONT have the blue filter, which would leave the blue light unfiltered. So you arent crazy.

DaKidd:
Actually yellow fogs are the best lights to have, because they penetrate through fog and precipitation better than white lights... So in my opinion if you were going for functionality having white headlights and yellow fogs would be pretty bad ass.. not to mention thats what I plan on doing.. :)

I think DaKidd was speaking of a different color white between the two (i.e. the fog lights being dimmer than the headlights).

Fog lights may look dumb yellow, with normal white headlights but yellow light cuts through the rain better, hence, the yellow fog lights. If you want looks over functionality, get white bulbs for the fogs. If you want light and functionality, save the yellow fogs.

I'm speaking of the yellowish tint of the regular white bulbs in the fog lights compared to the bright white light in the headlight bulbs if you were to use the Osrams.

I was searching this at the exact same time! WEIRD... talk about bringing a thread back from the dead. Everything I've read has stated that the Osrams are about 50% brighter than stock on most cars, where the Sylvanias are about 30% brighter. The Osrams, if you can find them ( www.powerbulbs.com and www.suvlights.com ) are a little cheaper, but since Powerbulbs is in the UK it's probably going to take a little longer to get them. Their website did say, however that shipping is free (to US even?). I'm going to attempt ordering them tomorrow, I think.

pates03 said:
the H4 also fits in your fog lights? sry for the dumb question
No they're H3 I think.. I haven't replaced mine though so I dunno

For all of you wanting to see the difference between sylvania and osram silverstars. Check my cardomain site (on page 3 I think)

http://members.cardomain.com/p5zverg

523421_15_full.jpg

t3ase said:
I have the Phillips Vision Plus H4's and BlueVision H3's. They're not THAT incredibly brigher, as I couldn't tell much of a difference and I had to tell my girlfriend (who always rides with me) that I switched them out.

The BlueVision's do not look blue at all in the foglights. I'm quite disappointed.

There is really no point to changing the bulbs in the fogs. I tried that already, but the fog lens has a yellow-ish tint to them so no matter what bulb you put it, you will still get the yellow-ish tint.

Black Majik MSP said:
I don't see any comparison there...it's just your P5 with what I'm assuming are the Osrams.
Nope.. one is osram, one is Sylvania for the lowbeams. I had it like this for a week and no one noticed, I can a little though but I think it is just how the headlights are aimed (passenger side is up a little bit). Then the sylvania on the driver side burnt out so I'm rockin the setup again.

Back