Suspension/Tire Rubbing?

:
13 MX-5
So, last week I just installed some aftermarket Tokico HP's with some Tein S-Tech's. Before that I previously installed the 22mm Progress rear sway. On hard cornering, I hear some kind of metal scratching sound? I also get this with my car has passengers in the back seat. I know my rear sway needs to be relubed but does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Also, I'm running the stock MSP wheels with 225/45/17 tires. I was thinking of getting some spacers....

You might be rubbing the tires on the struts or the tires are hitting the inside of the wheel well. I would have said you were rubbing the fender lip, but that's not likely since you are running stock MSP wheels. Jack your car up, take the wheel off, and look around at the struts and wheel well and see if there is any scraping/rubbing. It should be pretty apparent if that's what the problem is.

Yeah I did that and it seems like it's hitting the bottom part of the perch where the strut holds the bottom of the spring since that's the only place I see metal and no blue paint. The thing I don't get is why does it make a metal scratching sound with rubber hits metal? It just doesn't sound right.

When I rubbed the my rear fender lip it sounded like metal on metal too. If you do get some spacers, make sure the lug nuts have enough threads to stay on safely, otherwise you'll need longer studs too.

I found some wheels spacers at PepBoys but I thnk 1/4" is too thick. Anyone know where I can get some that are 3-5mm thick?

So earlier tonight I put the 3mm spacers in. Handling still feels the same but the damn sound is still there. I went on the same freeway entrance where I first heard the sound and I still heard it. Anyone know what this could be?

Maybe the springs are grinding on the spring perches. Did you put rubber sleeves on the springs themselves?

actually cno is correct , your suspension should be stiff enuff that they dont contact the perch but it will happen on hard bumps. i have the same setup but with stock tockicos. the setup is good but i experienced two totally different driving prowless on cornering from 16 to 17 inch rims. with 16s you'll never rub and with 17s you'll occasionally rub due to the tire distance from the spring perch. if where u live you have nice roads ( unlike mine in nyc ) go with lower tires and realign the suspension

livelyjay - Yes, I put those rubber sleeves towards the bottom the the springs.

CRANKEDAUTO - The roads in my area are okay. They don't have the sound when I don't run passengers in the back but when I do, something hits on a good bump.

check you're rim lip , how much negative you've set the tires ??
I was gonna put the same tire size but changed my mind.

There are no scratches on the rim except for the curbs when I got the car used. I used this tires size before but after I upgraded to the aftermarket Tokico HP's, I guess the strut is a little different. I'll check the perch and spring tomorrow.

its impossible for the wheel to come anywhere close to the spring perch on the strut. the wheel is fixed. it doesnt move independent of the strut, it moves with the strut. if the strut/spring is compressed, the distance of the perch to tire remains the same.

its impossible for the wheel to come anywhere close to the spring perch on the strut. the wheel is fixed. it doesnt move independent of the strut, it moves with the strut. if the strut/spring is compressed, the distance of the perch to tire remains the same.

Yeah, I was thinking that when I was looking at it with the tires on. I have no clue where this sound it coming from. It just gets annoying when people ride in my car or I go over hard bumps cornering.

I guess I'll try using P5 wheels when I get the chance to see if it's the wheel rubbing against something.

Thanks for all your help!

hmmmm...im not sure but i wanna say it might be your tires...maybe there bigger than the old ones you had cuz they got more tread?

There are no extra wear/rub marks on the tires though. Oh well. It's only on bumps. I'll figure it out this weekend hopefully when I get time.

hmmm im not sure i think i might even do it on sat...ya i know your not avaliable sat...hmmm ill give you a ring maybe like sat night and see if your avaliable sun ok? prolly sometime sunday morning

Back