Suspension Problem?

khoney

:
2007 Cosmic Blue MS3, 2018 CX-9 Signature
I was feeling some vibration in the rear end (of my car - gotta head you guys off). I figured a tire was out of balance. I am getting uneven wear on the inside of the right tire. Got home and took a look at the rear suspension. Something looks amiss... See the attached photos of the right and left sides. Does that look like a bent stabilizer control link to you guys?

While I'm on the subject, does anyone get a clunking in the front end when going over speed bumps? I've had it forever - when I've taken the car in, I get the old 'cannot reproduce problem' excuse.

Last edited:
Well, I've tried ten times to upload pics. No joy. Maybe later...

Finally... left and right shown below. Does that look normal?

Attachments

• Left.JPG
    Left.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 219
  • Right.JPG
    Right.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 249
Looks like your Rear sway Bar shifted to the right. Try loosening it and seeing if it'll go back centered and tighten it down.
That shouldn't happen.

edit: under reexamination, it appears your right sway bar end link is actually bent.

I think you're right, but it looks to me like the sway bar itself is also bent. Shouldn't the ends be vertical?

So I have to replace this stuff, should I go aftermarket? I'm sure OEM would probably cost even more... Opinions welcome.

I don't autocross or drive excessively hard, so I'm not even sure how this got messed up.

Agree that the right end link looks bent. I'd get under there & do a close inspection of the bar, bushings, links, etc. to make sure there wasn't some sort of domino effect damaging multiple parts.

If you are under warranty, of course, you can get that replaced/fixed at no cost. If not, then I'd probably spend less money for higher quality replacement parts by going aftermarket.

Get a Big Aftermarket Sway Bar and Aftermarket End Links and that'll be way cheaper and way better than the stock stuff.

Otherwise, I'm sure several people here will sell their OEM stuff cheap.

Just got the car back from the dealer - they said nothing was wrong with any of the suspension components. They did a 4-wheel alignment. Looking at the old and new values, I'd say that was a waste of 90 bucks. Everything was well within spec to begin with.

I guess I need to take a look at some other 3's to see what their endlinks look like.

Just got the car back from the dealer - they said nothing was wrong with any of the suspension components. They did a 4-wheel alignment. Looking at the old and new values, I'd say that was a waste of 90 bucks. Everything was well within spec to begin with.

I guess I need to take a look at some other 3's to see what their endlinks look like.

Having an "in spec" alignment and a "proper" alignment are two entirely different things...

Back