Sunroof Wind Deflector Recall

jrtouareg

:
16' CX-9 GT AWD (wifeys) 18' Q7 V6 Quattro (mine)
Just to add misery to not being able to get accessories, the dealer just called to tell me that the sunroof deflector for the CX-9 has been recalled by Mazda and I will not receive my replacement (it was broken when I picked up my car at delivery) until further notice. (argh) I've had my car since the 1st of February and still no availability of accessories that most of us want. What the *@!! is going on with these guys. It is really a shame since this is a good car and they will lose many sales. Terrible marketing strategy (or lack thereof).(deadhorse

Well, we have one on ours, and to be honest, the moonroof and the deflector stink. Does anyone else have a problem with windnoise? It is very noticable in ours. I do not remember hearing as much wind noise when I test drove one, but it did not have the deflector. Is the deflector causing the wind noise?

KRT-1 said:
Well, we have one on ours, and to be honest, the moonroof and the deflector stink. Does anyone else have a problem with windnoise? It is very noticable in ours. I do not remember hearing as much wind noise when I test drove one, but it did not have the deflector. Is the deflector causing the wind noise?

Apparently the maker of the deflector did not design it properly. The shape actually makes it noisier and the way it mounts makes it prone to breaking. Like I said, mine had a crack in it at delivery. This is the same reason why the cross bars and all weather mats are being delayed. The cross bars were designed improperly and could not carry the design loads and the floor mats would not fit properly. Do I see a pattern here? I wonder who the suppliers are for the accessories? (rant) If I was driving this car everyday instead of my wife, I would have returned it for my money back long ago. The buying experience sucks but at least it is a good driving car.

Am I missing something? There is a piece of metal at the front edge of the sunroof opening that automatically flips up when the sunroof opens. Isn't that a wind deflector? It seems to work fine for mine.

I tend to agree. I thought I might need a deflector, but with the standard metal edge the wind noise is quite minimal, unless you are driving on the freeway, but that noise is more tire/road noise than wind at that point.

When I am talking about extra wind noise, I am talking about when the moonroof is shut. When we test drove a CX-9 with a moonroof there was almost no wind noise while shut . When we purchased ours, it had the optional moonroof wind deflector. Although it looked great, the wind noise was considerably greater with the moonroof closed than it was on the one without the deflector. Has anyone else noticed this?

Back