Sub and Amp

tweakingmsp

:
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege
My stock amp blew and the stock subwoofer sucks. I want to keep the stock sub/amp deck so I have lots of room in the trunk. So what I need to know is 1) what amp will fit the deck? 2) what's a good sub for the deck? I'm trying not to spend to much, but I don't want bad sound. I'm not looking for a lot of bass, just looking to make the system sound good. Any recommendations would be great.

Well today I figured out that the amp isn't blown, I thought for sure that it was. It turns out that the stock RCA's were junk. I'm still gonna try and get a new sub sometime in the future. Right now I have a single 12" cause I can't stand the bad sound of the stock 8".

I would recommend jl audio and yeah my rcas were junk too i had to run a whole new set. and be careful with the stock power wire because there is a fuse under the hood for it that blows very easily

^^^ +1 ^^^

Just got my sub rack re-installed. Put in the JL Audio 8W1... perfect fit after I opened up the mounting holes a little with a drill. I also remounted the amp, bolted all the way through instead of just having wood screws holding it up there. I put a dense 1/4" foam pad between it and the rack and cinched it down tight.

Re-connected all the wires, turned up the tunes, and.............. no sub. Checked all the wires twice and then remembered the front fuse. I swapped it out and now I have the thumpinest 8" I've ever heard, with almost no rattle!

BTW... the trick with the 8W1 is to get the 4 ohm version. The stocker is 8 ohm. When you go to 4 ohm the stock amp goes from 80 watts to 120.... BIG difference.

isnt there a kicker sub that fits right in?? thats what i have when i bought my car. sounds every nice

Back