Styling is subjective...

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
I know styling is subjective, but let's face it, for many of us it plays a large role in our purchase. Other some details such as lights, corners and such - I find the CX-50 underwhelming. I was hoping for something either more sporty like a the Porsche SUV's, Audi's, Alfa's or more rugged like the Impreza CrossTrek, Bronco, Blazer, Volvo XC40. But rather, I find it looking more like a bland Nissan Rogue or VW Tiguan

I know there's lots of other consideration, and I expect the interior and driving dynamics of the CX-50 will be at the top of it's class as is other Mazda, so I'm just referring to overall exterior body shape

Tend to agree. I'm like that with colour choices as well. Certain colours will not find their way onto my driveway. When I had decided on buying the 6, the dealer had a black GT in stock and offered it up with a pretty good discount. I turned it down and waited for my machine grey GT to arrive instead. Paid more for it, but I don't like black.

I know styling is subjective, but let's face it, for many of us it plays a large role in our purchase. Other some details such as lights, corners and such - I find the CX-50 underwhelming. I was hoping for something either more sporty like a the Porsche SUV's, Audi's, Alfa's or more rugged like the Impreza CrossTrek, Bronco, Blazer, Volvo XC40. But rather, I find it looking more like a bland Nissan Rogue or VW Tiguan

I know there's lots of other consideration, and I expect the interior and driving dynamics of the CX-50 will be at the top of it's class as is other Mazda, so I'm just referring to overall exterior body shape

Just including some exterior pictures for a point of reference:

mazda-cx-50-04-polymetal-gray-1636997651.jpg

mazda-cx-50-06-polymetal-gray-1636997630.jpg

mazda-cx-50-10-polymetal-gray-1636997627.jpg

I've noticed that most of the promo photos show the CX-50 with what appears to be an "off-road trim" with Falken Wildpeak tires, those distinct rims, and the roofrack. Without that trim, it looks like this:

2023-mazda-cx-50-front-three-quarters-1636998657.jpg

2023-mazda-cx-50-side-1637006487.jpg

The CX-50 definitely looks to appeal more towards the outdoorsy image. Without the offroad trim, it looks like it would compete with a Subaru Forester. It seems that Mazda is relying on the CX-5 for the sleek, sporty look and the CX-50 for a more rugged, adventurous look. I think the CX-50 looks much better in the offroad trim. Might as well lean into it if that's the direction they want to go in with this car.

I personally like it and think it is an improvement on the CX-5, which has always looked too short, too tall and too narrow ( I owned a 2014 CX-5 and currently have a 2021 CX-5). To me, this fixes a lot of those issues and I would have purchased this over the CX-5 without question.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 7.52.00 PM.png

Someone posted this on Facebook. I guess this would be an example of what a "normal" CX-50 will look like when used as an everyday vehicle.

I was hoping for something either more sporty like a the Porsche SUV's, Audi's, Alfa's or more rugged like the Impreza CrossTrek, Bronco, Blazer, Volvo XC40.
Perhaps that’s what Mazda intends to offer with the CX-70 and CX-90…At least in terms of Porsche, Audi, Alfa, Volvo…

View attachment 304979

Someone posted this on Facebook. I guess this would be an example of what a "normal" CX-50 will look like when used as an everyday vehicle.

Hm, looks like the outer headlight trim piece might also be part of the offroad trim.

This angle also shows the overall front bumper shape a little better. I think I prefer the CX-5/-9's shape a bit more, with the slight "overbite" from the hood. On the CX-50, the grille trim seems to jut out a bit further and gives it a slight "underbite" look, which seems to be more consistent with your typical crossover like the Rogue, CR-V, etc. Still looks better than both of those IMO, but I prefer the CX-5/-9 shape more.

It also looks like they went the same direction as the CX-5 with regard to the foglights. Looks like the CX-50 doesn't get them either, and instead replaces them with LED accessory lighting.

Hm, looks like the outer headlight trim piece might also be part of the offroad trim.

This angle also shows the overall front bumper shape a little better. I think I prefer the CX-5/-9's shape a bit more, with the slight "overbite" from the hood. On the CX-50, the grille trim seems to jut out a bit further and gives it a slight "underbite" look, which seems to be more consistent with your typical crossover like the Rogue, CR-V, etc. Still looks better than both of those IMO, but I prefer the CX-5/-9 shape more.

It also looks like they went the same direction as the CX-5 with regard to the foglights. Looks like the CX-50 doesn't get them either, and instead replaces them with LED accessory lighting.
Yeah, I like the front end of the CX-9 and current CX-5. This is a little like the MX-30 to me. Also, with that picture, I am not sure if it is even real. That is, I did not think production on this vehicle was starting in Alabama till January of 2022. So what is it doing in some random driveway?

While I like it and agree that it fixes all the shortcomings of the CX-5, I also was a bit underwhelmed upon it's reveal. Mainly because its overall appearance is no more up to date than a 6 year old CX-9. I love Mazda's current design language but it seems like they're not advancing it has quick as expected. These new designs should look like the next generation but don't.

I also was a bit underwhelmed upon it's reveal. Mainly because its overall appearance is no more up to date than a 6 year old CX-9.
Yup. While I'm sure that fit/finish/features/and quality build will be top of class, I snapped these pics today which confirms (to me) how it's exterior is underwhelming and too much like what everyone else has. While dated, the CX-5, IMO seems to be different than the others on it's class, but here' what I see in the CX-50. - Rouge, Tiguan, Jeep, and even an old Sante Fe. I would have loved to see something like the Volvo XC40 - Yum

PXL_20211227_220316640.jpg
PXL_20211227_231702939.jpg
PXL_20211227_202628648.jpg
PXL_20211227_204850572.jpg

I’m also not a fan of the rugged look and prefer the sporty styling of CX-5. I noticed all of CX-50 marketing pictures have been of a dark colored car. I think a white CX-50 with black trim around the wheel wells would look terrible. I just don’t understand why they would go for a rugged look when they’re known for sporty fun to drive cars.

I’m also not a fan of the rugged look and prefer the sporty styling of CX-5. I noticed all of CX-50 marketing pictures have been of a dark colored car. I think a white CX-50 with black trim around the wheel wells would look terrible. I just don’t understand why they would go for a rugged look when they’re known for sporty fun to drive cars.
Yup. While not a sports car, the CX-5 definitely has a coupe-like appreance compared to most in it's class. I realize it's what's on the inside that counts, but when I see cx-50 pics it looks like a cross between the VW Tiguan and the Nissan Rogue

Yup. While not a sports car, the CX-5 definitely has a coupe-like appreance compared to most in it's class. I realize it's what's on the inside that counts, but when I see cx-50 pics it looks like a cross between the VW Tiguan and the Nissan Rogue
It's funny how you said it's what's on the side that counts. I wish they would combine the outside of the CX-5 and the inside of CX-50. I feel the inside of the CX-5 looks so dated compared to their new designs like the 3/CX-30/CX-50.

Mazda does need this updated CX-50 as to modernize and more appeal to the under 50 crowd. The wider profile and more rugged looks are exactly what the market wants. How many times do I see a grey haired older lady driving a CX-5? Not exactly a demographic that will take Mazda into the future.

The wider profile and more rugged looks are exactly what the market wants. How many times do I see a grey haired older lady driving a CX-5? Not exactly a demographic that will take Mazda into the future.
My observation exactly. Or if it is a younger woman or guy in their 30's they always appear to be more sensible (don't ask me what that looks like, can't explain it), but definitely don't appear to be enthusiasts

Back